Thomas B. Lockwood Book Collecting records
Scope and Contents
Notebooks and cards maintained by Thomas B. Lockwood documenting the acquisition of individual items in the collection of books and other items which were donated to the University of Buffalo in 1935. Some prices are included. Date of purchase and source are not provided.
- circa 1910-1935
- Lockwood, Thomas B. (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
The Thomas B. Lockwood Book Collecting Records are open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and Rare and Special Books before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Thomas B. Lockwood (1873-1947) was a Buffalo lawyer and businessman and a major benefactor of the University of Buffalo. Thomas B. Lockwood and Marian Birge Lockwood donated the money to construct the Lockwood Memorial Library as a memorial to their fathers. Thomas B. Lockwood was also a collector of rare books and manuscripts. When the Lockwood Memorial Library was dedicated in 1935 he presented his collection to the University of Buffalo.
2.0 Linear Feet (8 half manuscript boxes, 1 card file box )
Notebooks and card file maintained by Thomas B. Lockwood.
This collection has been maintained in original order.
This material was received upon the dedication of Lockwood Memorial Library in 1935. In October 2016, this collection was re-accessioned into the Rare and Special Books Collection from University Archives.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Collection processed by John Edens, March 2006.
- First Editions -- Collectors and collecting -- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- Archives Subject Source: Local sources
- Lockwood, Thomas B. -- Archives
- Private libraries -- New York (State) -- Buffalo Subject Source: Local sources
- Rare books -- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- Archives Subject Source: Local sources
- Thomas B. Lockwood Collection. State University of New York at Buffalo -- Archives
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Special Collections (Repository, Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Thomas B. Lockwood Book Collecting records
- Finding aid prepared by John Edens. Revised in October 2016 to reflect transfer to Rare and Special Books.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Rare and Special Books Repository
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US