Skip to Content

Buffalo Eye and Ear Collection

Identifier: HOM-014

Scope and Contents

This collection contains primarily administrative records from the Buffalo Eye and Ear Hospital and Wettlaufer Clinic. This included meeting minutes, trial balances, correspondence, fiscal reports, annual reports, budgets, by-laws, staff lists, applications, statements of income and expenses, rules and regulations, patient names, certificates, deposit books, etc. Similar records are contained in this series from before the Wettlaufer acquisition of the infirmary, when the hospital was named the Buffalo Eye and Ear Infirmary. The collection also contains newspaper clippings, and a scrapbook having to do with the Wettlaufer Clinic and some of the doctors who worked there.


  • 1905 - 1975
  • Majority of material found within 1920 - 1950

Terms of Access and Use

The Buffalo Eye and Ear Collection, 1905-1975 is open to researchers.


Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the Robert L. Brown History of Medicine Collection before requesting photocopies and/or publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Once permission is obtained, most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Historical Note

The Buffalo Eye and Ear Iinfirmary was founded in 1876 by Dr. Lucien Howe in 1876 at 568 Washington Street in Buffalo New York. Founded to treat the poor people of Buffalo, the institution provided services at little or no cost. Ove the years the infirmary bounced around the city and then settled for a time at 671-673 Michigan Ave.

In 1927 with the death of Dr. Lucian Howe, the infirmary was in danger of being dissolved until Dr.and Mrs. Conrad E Wettlaufer of the Buffalo Association for the Blind stepped in and took over the infirmary, providing quarters for it at 52 Maple Street. Upon this aquisition the institution was renamed the Buffalo Eye and Ear Hospital and Wettlaufer Clinic. From December 1935 to December 1936 the infirmary was expanded and reopened. In 1943 the institution was renamed the Buffalo Eye and Ear Hospital and Wettlaufer Clinic.Then in 1960 after the death of Conrad E. Wettlaufer (1868-1959), the Wettlauer Clinic was consolidated into Deaconess Hospital until its the hospitals closure in 1986. Then moving to Buffalo General Hospital, the Wettlaufer Clinic operated until its closure in 2010.


3 Linear Feet

Language of Materials







This collection is primarily arranged chronologically. Exceptions to this arrangement being the Applications and Resignation letters (Folders 9 and 10) which are arranged alphabetically.

Immediate Source of Acquisition


Accruals and Additions

No further accruals are expected.

Processing Information

Collection processed by Tom Murphy

Finding aid for the Buffalo Eye and Ear Collection.
Finding aid prepared by
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Robert L. Brown History of Medicine Collection Repository

State University of New York at Buffalo
B5 Abbott Hall
3435 Main Street
Buffalo NY 14214-3087 US