University at Buffalo Law School serials
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains uncataloged serials printed by the University at Buffalo Law School. Law reviews, etc., published by the Law School may be located using the library's online catalog.
- Bulk: Majority of material found within 1915-2006
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Law (Organization)
- University of Buffalo. School of Law (Organization)
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Faculty of Law and Jurisprudence (Organization)
- Arnone, James, 1960- (Person)
- Schaus, Robert, 1928- (Person)
Terms of Access
Materials can be examined by qualified researchers in the Law Library during hours of operation during which Law Reference Librarians are present. In order to insure access, researchers are advised to contact the Law Library in advance of visits.
Copyright for the materials in the collection does not reside with the Law Library. Therefore, patrons wishing to publish any item, or part of an item from this collection for any purpose, are responsible for securing requisite permissions. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Established in May 1887, the Buffalo Law School originated as the Law Department of Niagara University. In May 1891 it became part of the University of Buffalo and held its third commencement. ABA accredited in 1937 in its 50th anniversary year. In 1962 when UB joined SUNY, it became the only publicly funded law school in New York State until CUNY Law School was added in 1981(?). An LL.B. degree was awarded until 1967; the J.D. degree has been awarded since 1968.
Two histories have been published and are located in Box 28: Buffalo Law School 75 Years (1962) and University at Buffalo Law School 100 Years 1887-1987 (1992). The UB Law Forum published irregularly since 1985 chronicles events beyond these published histories and is located in the Law Library Special Collections 03.
The official name of the institution has changed over the years: University of Buffalo. School of Law (1887-1961); State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Law (1962-1967); State University of New York at Buffalo. Faculty of Law and Jurisprudence (1968-1988); State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Law (1989-1997 ); University at Buffalo Law School, The State University of New York (1998-)
- 1887-1888 Niagara Medical School, Ellicott Street
- 1888-1893 The Buffalo Library, Clinton Street
- 1893-1896 Stafford Building, upper floor, 158 Pearl Street
- 1896-1913 Ellicott Square Building, 9th floor
- 1913-1917 Third National Bank Building, 275 Main Street at Swan
- 1923- 1949? Townsend Hall, sw corner of Delaware Ave. and Niagara Square (present site of Buffalo City Court), served as temporary lecture space
- 1917-1948 77 West Eagle Street, original building (Hoyt Mansion housed law firm of Hoyt Spratt)
- 1949 Temporary classes held in the County Building, 40 Delaware (present site of Erie County Holding Center)
- 1949-1973 77 West Eagle Street, new building
- 1966-1969 Prudential Building
- 1973- O’Brian Hall, UB North Campus, Amherst
Language of Materials
Materials printed by the University at Buffalo Law School including bulletins, handbooks, facebooks, yearbooks, commencement bulletins, exams, and student newspapers.
The collection is arranged in thirteen series:
I. The Advocate
II. Alumni Directories
IV. Class Facebooks
V. Commence Bulletins
VII. The Iris
VIII. Law Student Handbooks
IX. Student Directories
X. UB Law Forum
XI. SCATE Forms
XII. Law School Exams
XIII. The Opinion
Materials were collected by the Charles B. Sears Law Library in an irregular manner.
Accruals and Additions
Occasional accruals are expected to this collection.
Processed by Karen L. Spencer, 2006.
- Finding Aid for the University at Buffalo Law School serials
- Finding aid prepared by Karen L. Spencer.
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note