Charles B. Sears Law Library records
Scope and Content Note
The collection includes materials generated or collected by various departments in the Law Library including administrative and faculty reports, departmental correspondence, exhibits, publications, photographs, clippings, etc.
Materials were culled from weeded administrative and library faculty files. Significant materials were also donated by Prof. Wade Newhouse which were collected or written during his stints as Acting Director. Those items are so noted.
- 1952 - 2021
- Bulk: Majority of material found within 1970 - 2005
Terms of Access
Materials can be examined by qualified researchers in the Law Library during hours of operation during which Law Reference Librarians are present. In order to insure access, researchers are advised to contact the Law Library in advance of visits.
Law Library created records are in the public domain. Copyright in other materials may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright before publishing quotations from or republishing materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Directors of the Law Library:
- 1936-1939 Mildred Miles
- 1939-mid-1940's Arthur Lenhoff
- Mid-1940's- 1947 Grace Primas Champness
- 1947-1950 Patricia Clause
- 1950-1960 Lois Crissey
- 1961-1963 Morris L. Cohen
- 1963-1967 Balfour Halevy
- 1967-1969(?) Joseph Pascuci (Acting)
- 1969-1971 Vaclav Mostecky
- 1971-1976 Larry B. Wenger
- 1976-1980 Wade J. Newhouse (Acting)
- 1980-1983 Kathleen Carrick
- 1983-1984 Wade J. Newhouse (Acting)
- 1984-1999 Ellen M. Gibson
- 2000-2008 James G. Milles
- 2009-2018 Elizabeth Adelman
- 2018-2020 Theodora Belniak (Interim Director)
- 2020- Elizabeth Adelman
12.6 Linear Feet (25 manuscript boxes, 1 oversize box , 1 carton, 2 oversize folders)
Language of Materials
Materials generated or collected by various departments in the Law Library including administrative and faculty reports, correspondence, exhibits, publications, photographs, clippings, etc.
The collection is arranged in seven series:
I. Director's Files
A. Annual Reports B. Governance C. Staffing D. Miscellaneous
II. Technical Services
A. Publications B. Classification Schedules
III. Public Services
IV. The 2003 Fire
V. The Website
Materials collected over time by various library staff.
Accruals and Additions
Occasional accruals are expected to this collection.
Three oversized files from Series VI are stored on the oversize shelves in the Law Library Archives, 223. Remainder of Series VI stored at end of main collection.
Processed by Karen L. Spencer in November 2007. Additions processed by John Beatty in January 2022.
- Cohen, Morris L., 1927-2010
- Gibson, Ellen M.
- Halévy, Balfour
- Law libraries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mostecky, Vaclav
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Faculty of Law and Jurisprudence
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Law
- University of Buffalo. School of Law
- Wenger, Larry B.
- Finding Aid for the Charles B. Sears Law Library records, 1952-2021 (bulk 1970-2021)
- Finding aid prepared by Karen L. Spencer.
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description