Wormwood Review Collection
Scope and Content Note
The Wormwood Review Collection, 1959-1999, includes production material, editorial correspondence, and submissions arranged by issue; business records, arranged chronologically by original packages, including receipts, invoices, expense reports, and subscription records; articles written by Malone and others pertaining to the magazine and contributors; editorial, grant, and production material; extensive indices and lists of subscribers and contributors; Malone's contribution to TriQuarterly Magazine; personal records including photographs and genealogical records of Shirley Malone; and personal correspondence between D.A. Levy and others sent to Malone shortly before Levy's death. Poets represented in the collection include Charles Bukowski, Gerald Locklin, ee cummings, William S. Burroughs, Lyn Lifshin, Philip Weidman, Steve Richmond, Douglas Blazek, Gerard Malanga, William Wantling, Wilma Elizabeth McDaniel, Judson Crews, Billy Collins, Christopher Perret, Oliver Haddo, Bern Porter, Ronald Koertge, Ronald Baatz and Joan Jobe Smith. Original order has been maintained throughout the collection and reflects Malone's attention to detail.
The magazine covers, indices, and other Wormwood Review material has been digitized by Marvin Malone's daughter Christa Malone, and can be found here: http://www.wormwoodreview.com/
- Majority of material found within 1959-1999
- Malone, Marvin (Person)
Language of Materials
Language of Materials
Material is in English
Terms of Access and Use
The Wormwood Review Collection is open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the Poetry Collection before requesting photocopies and/or publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Once permission is obtained, most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Marvin Malone (1930-1996) was a pharmacologist, scientific researcher, educator, artist, poetry collector, and editor. Upon arrival to Storrs, Connecticut in 1960, Malone discovered the second issue of Wormwood Review and soon took over the publication as the sole editor, publisher, and designer, producing quarterly issues until his death in 1996. The first issue of Wormwood Review was printed in the Fall of 1959, edited by Alexander (Sandy) Taylor, James Scully, and Morton Felix, on an antique letterpress in a barn on Wormwood Hill, Mansfield, Connecticut. For the third issue, Malone joined Taylor and artist Robert DeVoe, and by the fifth issue, Malone assumed all responsibility.
Wormwood Review ran for 144 issues (1959-1997). Christa Malone, Marvin's daughter, co-edited issue 144 after Marvin's death, and released issue 145/146 as a special tribute issue in 1999.
37.5 Linear Feet (69 manuscript boxes, 4 oversize boxes, 1 half manuscript box, 5 index card boxes)
The Wormwood Review Collection contains the editorial business records for Marvin Malone's Wormwood Review. Material includes editorial correspondence, manuscript submissions, production material, indices, and financial records. Collection also contains D.A. Levy correspondence and a small portion of Marvin Malone's personal records including photographs, family tree, and his first magazine, Bucolics and Cheromanics.
Collection has been arranged into 4 series: I. Wormwood Review (bulk arranged by issue), II. TriQuarterly, III. personal records, IV. D.A. Levy correspondence.
Collection donated by Shirley Malone in 2001. D.A. Levy correspondence purchased separately from Christa Malone in 2002.
Accruals and Addition
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
The following material has been integrated into the poetry collection. Items bearing notes and inscriptions have been photocopied and facsimiles have been placed in the manuscript collection.
- "Outlaw Eyes" no. 28 by Todd Moore
- "Hardboiled", issue 2, Fall 1985 edited by Wayne D. Dundee and Todd Moore
- poem card: "Beyond Skinner's Box" by Steve Abbott. Bearing note written to Marvin Malone from Judson Crews
- poem card: "She Said Ruffian She Said" by Lyn Lifshin, bearing typewritten letter from Lyn Lifshin to Marvin Malone
- poem card: "found poem" by Diane Kruchkow, bearing note from Paul M. Cook to Marvin Malone
- poem card: "Magic Children" by Barbara Drake, bearing letter from Albert Drake to Marvin Malone
- "Last Thoughts" by Tom McKeown signed
- ".22/For Her" by James Ryan Morris, note from Tom McKeown to Marvin Malone.
- poem card: "Spinal Devolution" by Gerald Locklin, signed
- "Macho Poet" by Jim Cory
- "Way of St. Francis," May-June 1992, signed by Wilma Elizabeth McDaniel
Collection processed by Elliot McNally.
- Blazek, Douglas
- Collins, Billy, 1941-
- Crews, Judson, 1917-
- Levy, D.A.
- Lifshin, Lyn, 1942-
- Little magazines
- Locklin, Gerald, 1941-
- Malanga, Gerard
- McDaniel, Wilma Elizabeth
- Poetry -- Publishing
- Poets, English--20th century
- Publishers and Publishing -- Correspondence
- Richmond, Steve
- Wantling, William
- Weidman, Phil, 1936-
- Finding Aid for the Wormwood Review Collection PCMS-0043
- Finding aid prepared by Elliot McNally, Sarah Akers, Sarah Marino, and Kamaria Busby.
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Local Best Practices
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- The processing of this collection was made possible through generous funding from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, administered through the Council on Library and Information Resources' "Cataloging Hidden Special Collections and Archives" Project.