Lost and Found Times Collection
Scope and Content Note
The Lost and Found Times Collection, 1975-2010, contains production material documenting the life of the magazine, material documenting John M. Bennett's personal poetry career, and a large series of mail art.
The material documenting all 54 issues of Lost and Found Times includes correspondence, submissions, dummies, magazine issues, and production material including paste-ups and small pieces of paper for arrangement as well as original artworks organized by issue. Al Ackerman's original Ack's Wacks and John Adam's Dr. D comics are among each issue's submission files. Grant applications and financial records are found at the end of the series.
Mail art makes up the bulk of the collection and includes mail artists such as Anna Banana, Cornpuff, Ficus Strangulensis, the Baron, Sticker Dude, Vittore Baroni, Tom Cassidy, Malok, Kimberly @ Varykino, Crackerjack Kid, FaGaGaGa, and Bob Grumman. A large portion of the mail art is unidentified and organized by size.
John M. Bennett's personal records include acceptance and rejection letters, manuscripts, submissions, notebooks, calls for work, electronic mail printouts, reviews, advertisements, conference material, and first appearances.
- Bennett, John M., 1942- (Person)
Language of Materials
Majority in English, some in Spanish.
Terms of Access and Use
The Lost and Found Times Collection is open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the Poetry Collection before requesting photocopies and/or publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Once permission is obtained, most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
John M. Bennett, born in Chicago, IL, 1942, is an experimental text, sound, visual and performance poet and mail artist. Bennett founded the small press Luna Bisonte Prods in 1974, and has published thousands of limited edition items of his own work and others, including the international literary journal Lost and Found Times, 1975-2005. Bennett worked in the Ohio State University Libraries since 1976, first in the Latin American Studies Library, then in the Rare Books and Manuscript Library, where he started the Avant Writing Collection. Bennett holds a PhD from the University of California Los Angeles in Latin American Literature.
68.0 Linear Feet (136 manuscript boxes, 1 large manuscript box, 1 oversize box, 9 cartons)
Collection contains editorial and business records for Lost and Found Times magazine, 1975-2005, including manuscript submissions, correspondence, mail art, and production material for all 54 issues. The collection also contains personal poetry business records for John M. Bennett, including correspondence, manuscripts, electronic mail, and journals. The bulk of the collection is mail art.
Collection is organized into three series: I. Lost and Found Times, 1975-2005; II. Mail Art, 1979 - 2010; III. Personal Records, 1978-2010.
The Lost and Found Times Collection was purchased from John M. Bennett in 2010.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
The following material has been integrated into the poetry collection. Items bearing notes and inscriptions have been photocopied and facsimiles have been placed in the manuscript collection.
- "Vasocongestion* Blues--*Blue Ball" by Jack Saunders
- "Art Brew: The Spent Effluent Collection" by Jack Saunders
- "Taint" by Jack Saunders
- "Potter's Ashes" by Jack Saunders
- "Off the Scale: Art Brew in American Celebrity Culture" by Jack Saunders
- "The Bicycle Cycle, Booklet 1" by Jack Saunders
- "The Bicycle Cycle, Booklet 2" by Jack Saunders
- "The Bicycle Cycle, Booklet 4" by Jack Saunders
- "Exhibit B" no. 4, edited by C.F. Kennedy, art director: Fido Dogstoevski
- fingermail: "2 slides of Damian Lopes", by Damian Lopes
- fingermail: "Double You" by JonArno Lawson
- fingermail: "Thin)gs" by LeRoy Gorman
- fingermail: "Poem for RK" by Bob Grumman
- fingermail: "Spin a Bible" by M.A.C. Farrant
- "The Subtle Journal of Raw Coinage", no. 45, by Michael Helsem and Geof Huth
- "Spunaway Roon" No. 4, "Touch and 2 Other Poems" by John Byrum
- "10 second grphcus anymotion" by Mike Miskowski
Processed by Elliot McNally, Rebecca Chapin, Kamaria Busby, October 2014.
- Ackerman, Blaster Al, 1939-2013
- Banana, Anna, 1940-
- Baroni, Vittore, 1956-
- Cassidy, Thomas M., 1950-
- Cohen, Joel S., 1947-
- Concrete poetry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- CrackerJack Kid, 1948-
- Electronic mail Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Grumman, Bob
- Mail art Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Poetry -- Periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Poets, American--20th century--Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publishers and Publishing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Richey, Forrest A., 1942-
- Strangulensis, Ficus, 1942-
- Visual poetry Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Welch, Chuck
- Finding Aid for the Lost and Found Times Collection PCMS-0048
- Finding aid prepared by Elliot McNally, Rebecca Chapin, and Kamaria Busby.
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Local Best Practices
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- The processing of this collection was made possible through generous funding from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, administered through the Council on Library and Information Resources' "Cataloging Hidden Special Collections and Archives" Project.