Evelyn Watson papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of published and unpublished poems, plays and other writings, covering themes such as Christmas, religion, and mysticism. It also includes correspondence, photographs, and other miscellaneous items, such as a scrapbook containing poetry-related clippings.
- Watson, Evelyn M. (Evelyn Mabel) (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
Evelyn Watson papers, 1921-1950, are open for research.
Please note: This collection is stored off-site. Access to collection requires 3 business days’ notice. Contact The Poetry Collection at (716) 645-2917 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and Rare and Special Books before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Miss Evelyn M. Watson was born on December 20, 1886 at Salamanca, New
York. She was of New England ancestry. She studied at Allegheny College and was
graduated from Mount Union College in 1909. After graduation, she did editorial
and publicity work. Miss Watson was a recognized poet. She was awarded a gold
medal for her verse by the National Poetry Center at Rockefeller Center, New
York City. She was a Buffalo resident, living at 21 South Putnam Street until
her death in 1956 [obituary,
Buffalo Evening News, March 25,
Miss Watson was exceedingly prolific. She edited The Circle for some time, was involved with The English Poetry Society and other leading organizations of like nature. She was the author of myriad books of verse, plays and essays on metaphysics including:
When Mother Played God (1917),
Divine Fire and Other Poems (1922),
Flames of Stars(1924),
Happy Heart Songs(1928),
A Book of Rainbows(1928),
Songs of the Niagara Frontier(1928),and
7 Linear Feet (12 manuscript boxes, 1 flat box)
Papers of Evelyn Watson, prolific Buffalo-area writer, award-winning poet, and noted mystic. Consists of published and unpublished poems, plays and other writings, covering themes such as Christmas, religion, and mysticism. Also includes correspondence, photographs, and other miscellaneous items, such as a scrapbook containing poetry-related clippings.
This collection is arranged in three series: I. Correspondence, II. Photographs and biographical fata, and III. Writings.
The bulk of the papers were a gift donated by Mrs. Harold Pinney, sister of Evelyn Watson, to the Reis Library at Allegheny College. The papers were subsequently given to Lockwood Library at various times during the 1954-1955 academic year. The papers transferred to the University Archives during the 1960s. Additional Watson-related material was donated to the University Archives in 1969 and 1971 by the Buffalo Public Library via its Curator of Rare Books, Joan van Arsdale. In October 2016, this collection was re-accessioned into the Rare and Special Books Collection from University Archives.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Collection processed by Archives Staff in the 1970s.
Finding aid encoded by Danielle White.
- American literature -- 20th century
- American poetry -- 20th century
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Mysticism in literature
- Niagara Falls (N.Y. and Ont.) -- Poetry
- Poets, American -- 20th century -- Archives
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Archives
- Watson, Evelyn M. (Evelyn Mabel) -- Archives
- Watson, Evelyn M. (Evelyn Mabel) -- Authorship
- Watson, Evelyn M. (Evelyn Mabel) -- Correspondence
- Watson, Evelyn M. (Evelyn Mabel) -- Knowledge -- Mysticism
- Allegheny College (Meadville, Pa.) (Contributor, Organization)
- Hemingway, Ernest (Contributor, Person)
- Mount Union College (Contributor, Organization)
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Special Collections (Repository, Organization)
- Watson, Evelyn M. (Evelyn Mabel). Zenith (Contributor, Organization)
- Women's History in Buffalo and Western New York Collection (State University of New York at Buffalo) (Contributor, Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Evelyn Watson papers
- Finding aid prepared by Archives Staff. Revised in October 2016 to reflect transfer to Rare and Special Books.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note