Scope and Content Note
Opened in 2006 to coincide with the organization’s 30th anniversary celebration, the Hallwalls Collection contains the Hallwalls Video Collection Preservation Project, featuring recorded performances by national and international artists including Laurie Anderson, Tony Conrad, Ethyl Eichelberger, and hundreds more; as well as thousands of items of publications, photographs, artist files, grant applications, business records, calendars, publicity materials, and other ephemera and realia documenting the history of the Contemporary Arts Center.
- Hallwalls (Museum) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
Hallwalls Collection, 1974-2008, are open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the Poetry Collection before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Dedicated to supporting artists in the creation of new work in the visual, media, performing, and literary arts, and to making these works available to various audiences, Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center was founded in Buffalo, New York in 1974 by a group of artists including Diane Bertolo, Charles Clough, Nancy Dwyer, Robert Longo, Cindy Sherman, and Michael Zwack. The organization continues to celebrate innovation by supporting local artists and by introducing Buffalo audiences to wider artistic communities. Over its thirty-year history, Hallwalls’s exhibitions and residencies have spanned the genres of painting, sculpture, conceptual art, installations, experimental and documentary film, video art, performance, fiction, jazz, and new music.
370 Linear Feet
Opened in 2006, the Hallwalls Collection contains the Hallwalls Video Collection Preservation Project, featuring recorded performances as well as thousands of items of publications, photographs, artist files, grant applications, business records, calendars, publicity materials, and other ephemera and realia documenting the history of the Contemporary Arts Center.
This collection is currently being processed.
Donated to the Poetry Collection by Hallwalls.
Accruals and Additions
The Poetry Collection receives periodic additions to the collection.
370 linear feet
Collection currently being processed.
- 20th century -- Art, American -- New York (State) -- Buffalo Subject Source: Local sources
- Art, Modern -- 20th century -- Exhibitions -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bertolo, Diane
- Clough, Charles, 1951-
- Dwyer, Nancy
- Hallwalls (Museum) -- Archives
- Longo, Robert
- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- Art museums Subject Source: Local sources
- Sherman, Cindy
- Western New York Collection of Small Presses and Cultural Institutions (State University of New York at Buffalo)
- Zwack, Michael
- Finding Aid for the Hallwalls Collection, 1974-2008
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Morse.
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Local Best Practices
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.