Phylum Press records
Scope and Contents
Collection contains correspondence, production files and manuscripts related to Phylum Press publications.
- Phylum Press (Organization)
- Deming, Richard, 1970- (Publisher, Person)
- Kuhl, Nancy, 1971- (Publisher, Person)
Terms of Access and Use
The Phylum Press records, 1996-2021, are open to researchers.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the Poetry Collection before requesting photocopies and/or publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Once permission is obtained, most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Biographical / Historical
Phylum Press is an independent publisher of poetry pamphlets and chapbooks founded in 2000 by Nancy Kuhl and Richard Deming. Based in New Haven, CT, the editors of Phylum Press fund the publications and give them away, aiming for "a balance between an artist book... and the standard poetry book" and "committed to the belief that poetry is a gift economy."*
Kuhl is Curator of Poetry, Yale Collection of American Literature at the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library. She earned an MA in English literature from Ohio University, an MFA in poetry from Ohio State University, and an MLS from the State University of New York at Buffalo. Deming is a poet, art critic, and theorist, and is Director of Creative Writing for the English Department at Yale University. He earned a BA in English at State University of New York at Brockport, an MA in English at Ohio University, and a Ph.D. in American Literature and Poetics from the State University of New York at Buffalo.
* Phylum Press website
2 Linear Feet (2 cartons)
Language of Materials
Phylum Press is an independent publisher of poetry pamphlets and chapbooks based in New Haven, CT. It was founded in 2000 by Nancy Kuhl and Richard Deming.
Collection arranged in two series:
- Correspondence, 1996-2021
- Production files and manuscripts, 1996-2021
Donated by Nancy Kuhl and Richard Deming in 2021.
The following items were removed to be cataloged and added to the print collection:
- "The Cock’s Step," Living Locally no.30, 2015, by Erica Van Horn (Clonmel, Tipperary, Ireland: Coracle). Box 1, folder 9.
- "Taking Stock" (2017) and "For the New Year" (2012) (Clonmel, Tipperary, Ireland: Coracle). Box 1, folder 10.
- Poem cards (17) and "Oh Joy/Crickets" by Bill Heyen. Box 1, folder 23.
- "New Moment" by Sheila E. Murphy (2003). Box 1, folder 31.
- Little Leather Library editions: Pippa Passes, Robert Browning, and Barrack Room Ballads, Rudyard Kipling. Box 1, folder 32.
- "Brisling Pottery," Jett Whitehead. Box 1, folder 46.
Processed by Jordan Roeder and Marie Elia, 2021-2022.
- Finding aid for the Phylum Press records
- Finding aid prepared by Jordan Roeder and Marie Elia.
- 2021 November 3
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description