Scope and Contents
The P22 collection includes materials related to the products and commissions of the P22 Type Foundry. Box 1 consists of materials related to products designed by P22 Type Foundry: 3.5" floppy disks of P22 fonts, boxes for floppy disks, CDs of products, covers for floppy disk jewel cases, and key charts. Box 2 includes booklets of P22 products, metal type, a mug, a hockey puck, buffalo wing sauce, and 3.5" floppy disks of products still in original packaging. Box 3 contains stickers, postcards, coasters, a mouse pad, a press kit, catalogs, vinyl records, two decks of playing cards, two DVDs, a CD, and metal type. Box 4 consists of CDs from P22/Atom Smash Records and books about type font.
Digital Media Inventory
- Dada font 2006 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-001
- WoodType font 2004 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-002
- Koch Signs 1996 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-003
- P22 Font Catalog (Acrobat PDF) 1998 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-004
- Arts & Crafts Ornaments Two 36 Computer Ornaments to Complement the Arts & Crafts Font Set 1999 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-005
- Cezanne: A computer font set based on the pen work of Paul Cezanne, Philadelphia Museum of Art 1998 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-006
- Way Out West: Works with all major software programs pardner! 1996 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-007
- Prehistoric Pals 1999 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-008
- Petroglyphs 1999 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-009
- Garamouche 2000 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-010
- Kane! A computer font 1998 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-011
- Czech Modernist: A computer font set based on the type designs of Vojtech Preissig 1998 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-012
- Dinosaur: A computer font set of dinosaurs and ancient vertebrates, American Museum of Natural History 1998 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-013
- Daddy-O Computer Font Set 1998 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-014
- Acropolis Now: A Set of Computer Fonts Based on the Decorative Art of Ancient Greece 1999 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-015
- Josef Albers 1998 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-016
- Making Faces: Metal Type in the 21st Century 2011 DVD PCMS-0078-017
- Cezanne: A computer font set based on the pen work of Paul Cezanne, Philadelphia Museum of Art 1996 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-018
- Cezanne: A computer font set based on the pen work of Paul Cezanne, Philadelphia Museum of Art 1996 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-019
- Duchamp: A Complete Font Based on the Handwriting of Marcel Duchamp 1994 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-020
- Arts and Crafts: A Set of Computer Fonts Based on the Typefaces and Ornaments of Dard Hunter, circa 1900 1995 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-021
- Daddy-O Computer Font Set 1998 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-022
- Constructivist 1995 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-023
- Vienna 1995 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-024
- Miro 1994 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-025
- Acropolis Now: A Set of Computer Fonts Based on the Decorative Art of Ancient Greece 1995 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-026
- Vienna 1995 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-027
- insectile 1995 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-028
- Hieroglyphic: A Computer font of Egyptian Hieroglyphics 1996 3.5-inch floppy disk PCMS-0078-029
- Girlpope: Cheeses of Nazareth 1996 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-030
- The New Museum Project DVD circa 2008 DVD PCMS-0078-031
- Making Faces: Metal Type in the 21st Century 2011 DVD PCMS-0078-032
- barrel harbor: songs of illness and bad luck 2003 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-033
- Temple of Music: Independent Pop From Western New York 1996 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-034
- Girlpope: Cheeses of Nazareth 1996 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-035
- the amazing all my children band: tangent 1998 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-036
- FUTURISMO: The Soundtrack to a Type Face 1998 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-037
- Rod McKuen: Beatsville 1998 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-038
- girlpope: The Whole Scene Going 1999 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-039
- BOBO: EP 1999 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-040
- girlpope vs. BOBO: Live at The Mohawk Place 2000 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-041
- Doombuggy: Blow Your Soul 2001 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-042
- The Contortionists: Get Sweet For You 2001 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-043
- Jackdaw: Hit Hard or Go Home 2002 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-044
- Odiorne: Want them leaving more 2002 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-045
- Grand National: The KingSIZE E.P. 2002 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-046
- Rod McKuen: In Search of Eros 2003 CD-ROM PCMS-0078-047
Terms of Access and Use
The P22 collection is open to researchers.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the Poetry Collection before requesting photocopies and/or publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Once permission is obtained, most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
The P22 Type Foundry of Buffalo, NY develops and markets typefaces for Macintosh and Windows platforms. The type foundry was founded by Richard Kegler and Carima El-Behairy. As the company website states, the name P22 itself has no intended meaning. The P22 Type Foundry began creating fonts in 1994 as an outgrowth of the thesis of Richard Kegler on the writings of artists Marcel Duchamp. P22 collaborated with museums to design some fonts such as with Guggenheim Museum in New York to create the Josef Albers set and with the Whitney Museum of American Art for the Daddy-O “beatnik” set. Many of P22 Type Foundry’s fonts were sold in museum gift shops. Additional fonts designed by P22 include fonts based on artist's handwriting such as Cezanne, Monet and Da Vinci as well as titles commissioned from the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation and the Dard Hunter Estate. The P22 Type Foundry holds the electronic license for the Johnston typeface used by the London Underground. The P22 Type Foundry also had a record label company known as P22 / Atom Smash Records. The CDs distributed by P22/Atom Smash Records often featured fonts designed by P22 Type Foundry.
1.67 Linear Feet (3 letter mss boxes, 1 legal mss box)
26.726 Gigabytes (18 CDs, 3 DVDs, 25 Floppy Disks (3.5"))
Language of Materials
The P22 collection includes materials related to the P22 Type Foundry products, marketing, and commissions. This includes include catalogs, postcards, floppy disks, cds, cd cases, vinyl records, books on type fonts, stickers, temporary tattoos, metal type, playing cards, coasters, a hockey puck, a bottle of buffalo wing sauce, a bag of pasta for promotion, and a coffee mug.
The P22 collection is arranged by material type.
The P22 collection, 1991-2011, was donated to the Poetry Collection by Richard Kegler on December 8, 2011 as accession 2011-pcms-002.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Processed by Matthew Gadziala May 2019; finding aid encoded by Matthew Gadziala May 2019.
- Finding aid for the P22 collection
- Finding aid prepared by Matthew Gadziala
- 22 May 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note