Skip to Content

University Facilities vertical file

 Collection — Drawer: RG 8
Identifier: 8/H/VF
This vertical file is not comprehensive; it is comprised of ad hoc material collected over time by University Archives staff. Vertical files are often used by researchers as a "first stop" and serve as an orientation to the topic at hand.

The University Facilities vertical file contains administrative histories regarding the campus grounds. Administrative histories are useful as they generally contain citations to other sources, such as minutes, articles, etc., that are held in University Archives.

Numerous newspaper article clippings and press releases are present, with strong coverage regarding construction of the North (Amherst) Campus.

Material in files varies, but often contains clippings, reports, press releases, and publications.

Dates

  • circa 1930-2015

Terms of Access and Use

The University Facilites vertical file is open for research.

Copyright

Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and University Archives before requesting photocopies and/or publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Once permission is obtained, most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Extent

1.5 Linear Feet (file cabinet drawer)

Abstract

Contains administrative histories, clippings, reports, and miscellaneous printed material regarding campus planning and design, individual buildings and sites, and environmental/safety.

Historical Note

The State University of New York at Buffalo's South Campus is located at Bailey Avenue and Main Street. The 178-acre campus sits on the former site of the Erie County Almshouse. Several buildings, including Hayes Hall, Townsend Hall, and Wende Hall were retained and renovated when the area was redesigned for the University. The first building constructed was Foster Hall in 1921. The campus of the University of Buffalo (now the South Campus at the State University of New York at Buffalo) was originally the site of the Erie County Almshouse and County Hospital. When the University Council members learned that the County planned to relocate the Almshouse, they decided that the Almshouse grounds would be the perfect location for the development of its campus. In 1909 the University bought 106 acres of the land from the County. It later purchased an additional 72 acres from the County and private individuals.

In February 1919, the University announced a competition for the landscape design for the new campus. As it was stated in the 1923 Iris yearbook, "Landscape architects throughout the country competed for the prizes, and the jury, composed of the state commissioner of education, two architects from New York City, and two members of the University Council awarded the first prize to Hallam L. Movius of Boston." A general plan and perspective of the campus was then drawn up and the architects, McKim, Mead, and White, started designing the first University buildings in the colonial-classic style.

The University's new campus, formally dedicated in 1920, consisted of mainly the former buildings from the Almshouse. In 1921 construction was begun on Foster Hall, the first McKim, Mead and White building to be constructed. It wasn't until 1927 that the former County Hospital main building was modified to become Hayes Hall where the University's administration was housed. In 1930, the University Committee on Buildings and Grounds was authorized to "engage an architectural expert to investigate the whole matter of reconstruction of buildings with a view of securing a harmonious treatment of all buildings and spaces involved." The result was a campus plan drawn up by architects E.B. Green and Son and Albert Hart Hopkins, dated May 1, 1930, which closely resembled the 1920 campus perspective. The University then consulted Ralph Adams Cram, the Supervising Architect of Princeton University, who gave his unhesitating endorsement to the plan prepared by Green and Hopkins. The plan established the basic layout of the campus and guided its development into the 1950s.

E.B. Green and his firm designed several buildings for the University, including the original Lockwood Library (now Abbott Hall, today the location of the Health Sciences Library), the first Norton Union (now Harriman Hall), the Bookstore (a replica of the Holland Land Company Office in Batavia, New York, since renamed Beck Hall), and the Engineering Building (now Parker Hall). Also Crosby Hall, Clark Gym, and the Mackay Heating Plant.

Many of the South Campus building names were relocated to new structures on the University's North Campus in the 1970s and 1980s. The structures on South Campus were then renamed.

The University at Buffalo's North Campus is located almost exactly in the center of the town of Amherst, NY approximately 3.5 miles from South Campus on the northeast edge of Buffalo, NY. In the mid-1960s, the University was quickly outgrowing its 178-acre campus which was once the grounds for the Erie County Almshouse and County Hospital. After a few unsuccessful attempts to acquire land for a new campus in downtown Buffalo, the University looked to the surrounding suburbs. Then governor of New York Nelson Rockefeller helped the University acquire 2,000 acres in Amherst, and in October, 1968 the University began the intensive planning for the newly-acquired land.

In July 1970, the State University Construction Fund and architectural design firm Sasaki, Dawson, Demay and Associates, Inc. published The Campus Plan in two volumes, which outlined in great detail the vision for the new campus.

For more information on University campuses, buildings, and sites, visit https://library.buffalo.edu/archives/campuses/

Arrangement

Material is mainly arranged by subgroup:

H. Administrative History

0. Clippings/Printed Material

4. Facilities Planning and Design

5. Environmental, Health, and Safety Services

6. UB Green

7. South (Main Street) Campus

8. South (Main Street) Campus Buildings and Sites

9. North (Amherst) Campus

10. North (Amherst) Campus Buildings and Sites

12. Other University Buildings and Sites

Acquisition Information

Material in the University Facilities vertical file was collected by University Archives staff. Periodically, documentation is added to the collection.

Accruals and Additions

Further additions may be added.

Processing Information

Processed by Grace Trimper, Fall 2017 ; finding aid encoded by Amy Vilz, March 2019.

Source

Title
Finding Aid for the University Facilities vertical file
Status
completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Amy Vilz
Date
06 March 2019
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
und

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US
716-645-2916
716-645-3714 (Fax)