Adeline Levine Love Canal research materials (Part I)
- Majority of material found within 1978-1981
- Levine, Adeline (Person)
Language of Materials
Terms of Access
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
1.67 Linear Feet (4 manuscript boxes)
In 1978 Adeline Levine, professor of Sociology at the University at Buffalo visited the Love Canal days after it was declared a national disaster. After speaking with local residents and government officials, Levine was motivated to research the psychosocial impact of toxic waste dump site on the local community. Her published book, Love Canal: Science, Politics, and People (1982) examined the crisis at Love Canal by following the development of local community organizations and scrutinizing the government's response.
In 2007 Levine wrote an described how she became involved in researching the Love Canal environmental disaster.
"Motivated by curiosity I visited the Love Canal for the first time nine days after it was declared a health hazard... The situation was very chaotic at that time. On that first visit I saw people moving out of their well-kept homes, met a pregnant woman convinced she was carrying a monster; spoke to another woman afraid that her daughter would be unable to bear children; saw worried men and women lined up to get information from newly established government offices; talked to some of the government workers trying to bring some order out of the chaos; and met the young woman (Lois Gibbs) who was suddenly thrust into prominence as the leader of a brand new citizen's organization. After eight hours, I came home, determined to do research at Love Canal."1
Levine, Adeline G. "The Love Canal: Social Science Research in a Community in Crisis." Research in Social Problems & Public Policy, 2007, Volume 14, pages 19-29
Accruals and Additions
Finding aid encoded by Danielle White, September 2014.
- Levine, Adeline (Person)
- Buffalo Historical Society (Buffalo, N.Y.) (Contributor, Organization)
- Center for Health, Environment and Justice (Falls Church, Va.) (Contributor, Organization)
- Citizen's Clearinghouse for Hazardous Wastes (Arlington, Va.) (Contributor, Organization)
- Gibbs, Lois Marie (Contributor, Person)
- Paigen, Beverly (Contributor, Person)
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Environmental Issues in Western New York Collection (State University of New York at Buffalo) (Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Adeline Levine Love Canal research materials (Part I), 1953-1981 (1978-1981 bulk)
- Finding aid prepared by Archives staff.
- Description rules
- Language of description