Ruth Bartholomew papers
- Bartholomew, Ruth (Person)
Language of Materials
Terms of Access
9.7 Linear Feet (20 manuscript boxes )
Born in Buffalo, New York, Ruth Bartholomew (1899-1969) was the first professional librarian at the University of Buffalo. At Oberlin College, she studied music and library science. In 1921 she began her career at the Buffalo Public Library on Lafayette Square. She served as University Librarian (the head of the "main library" of the University; the Schools of Medicine and Law maintained separate departmental libraries) from 1922 to 1934. In 1934, Charles D. Abbott was appointed to the newly created post of Director of Libraries and Ruth Bartholomew became Associate Librarian. After an Assistant Director was appointed in the 1950's she became chiefly responsible for overseeing gifts and exchange, personnel, and the bindery.
Bartholomew served as head librarian when the College of Arts and Sciences Library moved from Niagara Square to Foster Hall, later to Hayes Hall, and in 1935 she supervised the move into the original E.B. Green-designed Lockwood Memorial Library, now the Health Sciences Library. She was a member of the American Library Association and a delegate to its national meetings. She also helped organize a library service group, the Friends of Lockwood Library. Bartholomew, also an accomplished pianist, retired in 1964.
Accruals and Additions
Finding aid encoded by Danielle White, August 2014.
- Finding Aid for the Ruth Bartholomew papers
- Finding aid prepared by Archives staff.
- Description rules
- Language of description