Bruce Jackson Campus Revolt collection
Collection — Multiple Containers
Documents, minutes, reports, newspapers, student papers on press coverage and community response to the University of Buffalo campus unrest in 1969 and 1970. Also includes, "UB Disorders"- audio tapes, March-April 1970. Audio tape portrayal of the administrative and student unrest at the University of Buffalo (March-April 1970). Including television news broadcasts and interviews, WBFO radio reports, student interviews with administration, faculty senate meetings and strike convocation. The bulk of the taped material addresses the ROTC issue; acting president, Peter Regan; police on campus, and the Faculty 45. Professor Jackson compiled the tapes and makes brief commentaries throughout several of the live sessions.
- Jackson, Bruce (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
Bruce Jackson Campus Revolt Collection 1969-1970 is open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
3.0 Linear Feet (5 manuscript boxes, 12 reel to reel tapes)
Professor Bruce Jackson's collection documenting the University of Buffalo campus unrest of 1969 and 1970. Includes minutes, reports, newspapers, student papers on press coverage and community response, WBFO radio reports, television news broadcasts and "UB Disorders" audiotapes.
Bruce Jackson is the Samuel P. Capen Professor of American Culture and State University of New York Distinguished Professor of English at the University at Buffalo. The author or editor of 22 books, Jackson has produced documentary films, important folkloric recordings, photographs, and articles addressing aspects of American culture, including southern work songs, prison reform, drug culture, and racial politics. In 2002, the government of France named him Chevalier in L'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, France's highest award in the arts and humanities. Jackson is also editor of the web journal, buffaloreport.com.
This collection remains in original order. In some cases the files are organized chronologically.
Donated by Bruce Jackson, August 1971.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Tape Recordings List
All audio tape materials and radio recordings, including "UB Disorders" are located in the University Archives Visual Materials Collection.
- Tr 165 - Peter Regan's television talk, March 1, 1970 at 9p.m.; Bruce Jackson's comments on the strike convocation, March 2
- Tr 165 - Continuation of March 2 Convocation, John P. Holtspeaks
- Tr 166 - Sunday Morning Meeting in Haas Lounge, Faculty Members- Bruce Jackson (English), Edgar Friedenberg (Education), Al Somit (Political Science), Charles Fall (Education). Recorded from WBFO, March 9
- Tr 167 - Faculty Senate Meeting in Memorial Auditorium, March11. Regan, Friedenberg, Kurtz, Schwartz, Ray Boddy's motion on police and discussion
- Tr 167 - Hal Segal's motion on Regan resignation, Regan vote
- Tr 168 - WBFO recording of March 12-13. Beginning 11:55, March 12, Thursday p.m. re: Hayes, Themis, and Clark Gym incidents
- Tr 168 - Sunday, March 15, Faculty 45 arrest news
- Tr 169 - WBFO recording of March 16, AAUP meeting, Norton 1-3 p.m. on police busts. End of March 16 AAUP meeting. Tony Ralston's and Dorie Friend's resignation. Jerry Rubin on CBC Tony Ralston interview, March 17. UB Council Paper # 2, March 17
- Tr 170 - Faculty Senate Meeting of March 17 in Capen Hall.ROTC issue and Regan motion
- Tr 171 - Provisional Revolutionary Government RAP, Common Council, March 17. Warren Bennis on "Contact," March 19
- Tr 171 - Fred Snell, interviewed by Louanne Pearson for E-564, March 19
- Tr 172 - Peter Regan interviewed by Bruce Jackson at 57 Chapin Parkway, April 5
- Tr 172 - Ira Cohen interviewed by Marsha Staiman. Peter Regan interviewed by Zora Devryn, April 8
- Tr 173 (Side 1-A) - John Corbett interviews the following people on "Contact" at 9 a.m. on WBEN-TV, Channel 4. The subject is the UB situation: Sheriff Amico, March 3; Dennis Arnold, a senior from Legal Aid for Undergraduates, March 18; Dr. Warren Bennis, March 19
- Tr 173 (Side 1-B) - A personal interview with Sheriff Amico of Erie County, March 20; Mr. Hunt, Director of Security, Environmental Health and Safety at UB, March 27
- Tr 173 (Side 2-A) - John Corbett interviews Dr. Fred Snell,March 20
- Tr 173 (Side 2-B) - Interview with Mr. Hunt continued.Interview with Dr. Olive P. Lester, a social psychologist, UB Psychology Department
- Tr 174 - David Hayes (Linguistics) interviewed by Marsha Staiman
- Tr 174 - Ed Doty interviewed by Marsha Staiman; Dub of cassettes
- Tr 175 - Diefendorf Tape II. Peter Regan and ROTC meeting.Claude Welch moderating, March 3; 7 ½ ips
- Tr 176 - Diefendorf Tape III. ROTC continued, March 3; 7 ½ ips
Processed by Archives staff, 1970's.
- Jackson, Bruce (Person)
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Campus Unrest at the University at Buffalo Collection (State University of New York at Buffalo) (Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Bruce Jackson Campus Revolt collection
- Finding aid prepared by Archives staff.
- Description rules
- Language of description