Skip to Content

School of Medicine class of 1930 20th anniversary lp record

 Collection — Oversize-box: UAOS 1, Item: 4
Identifier: 19-4H-1335
LP recording documenting the 20th anniversary of the University of Buffalo School of Medicine Class of 1930.

Dates

  • 1950

Terms of Access and Use

The School of Medicine Class of 1930 20th anniversary lp record is open for research.

Copyright

Copyright is held by The State University of New York at Buffalo, University Archives. Additional copyright in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Extent

1 Phonograph record(s)

Abstract

Recording documenting the 20th anniversary of the University of Buffalo School of Medicine Class of 1930.

Historical Note

The school was established when Buffalo was a boomtown on the Erie Canal and the gateway to the West. Leading citizens—primarily physicians and lawyers—proposed that an institution of higher learning be established, which led to the founding of the private, nonsectarian University of Buffalo. The Medical School, or Medical Department, as it was called, was the first decanal unit within the university, and 40 years passed before other departments were added.

Medical classes began February 24, 1847, with an enrollment of 66 students. The medical school’s first permanent location was next to Buffalo General Hospital in downtown Buffalo. In 1893, the school relocated to High Street in the city, where it remained until 1953, when it moved to its current location on the university’s South Campus.

In 1962, University of Buffalo merged with the State University of New York (SUNY) system. The Medical School then became the School of Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo. In 2015, it become known as the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences — the first school naming in UB history — in recognition of the Jeremy M. Jacobs family’s longstanding philanthropy and service to UB.

(Source: Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences website, accessed July 2018).

Arrangement

None.

Acquisition Information

The School of Medicine Class of 1930 20th anniversary lp record was gifted to University Archives by Robert Irwin, date and accession number unrecorded.

Accruals and Additions

No further accruals are expected.

Processing Information

Processed by Amy Vilz, July 2018; finding aid encoded by Amy Vilz, July 2018.

Source

Title
Finding Aid for the School of Medicine class of 1930 20th anniversary lp record
Status
completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Amy Vilz.
Date
30 July 2018
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
und

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US
716-645-2916
716-645-3714 (Fax)