College of Arts and Sciences 50th anniversary jubilee concert lp records
Scope and Contents
Recording of the Jubilee Concert, April 12, 1964, held at Kleinhans Music Hall celebrating the 50th anniversary of the College of Arts and Sciences [3 copies].
Terms of Access and Use
College of Arts and Sciences 50th anniversary jubilee concert lp records are open for research.
Copyright is held by The State University of New York at Buffalo, University Archives. Additional copyright in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
The University of Buffalo Charter was granted by the New York State Legislature on May 11th, 1846 with the authorization to grant any degrees whatsoever. The School of Medicine was established as the first division of the University, followed by Pharmacy (1886), Law School (1887), and Dental School (1892). Although the desire for a “Greater University” consisting of liberal arts courses in concert with the professional schools had been a goal since the charter was granted, new accreditation rules from the American Medical Association led to the first “Courses in Arts and Sciences” offered in 1913. Thirty-five full-time students enrolled, marking the beginnings of the College of Arts and Sciences.
The years 1916-1922 were critical in the transformation of the University from a loose collection of professional schools to an integrated university. In 1920, the University embarked on a major endowment campaign. Generating over $5 million from 24,000 community members in 10 days, the success of the campaign allowed for development of the Main Street Campus and expansion of the College of Arts and Sciences.
UB underwent significant change and growth with the consolidation of most facilities on the Main Street Campus (the Law School remained downtown). Enrollment exploded after WWII and with it, a rapid expansion of CAS. The Art Department merged with the Albright Art School, the Slee Professorship in Music was established (with first resident Aaron Copeland), and both Physics and Chemistry were awarded new and renovated facilities. Most significantly, UB merged with the SUNY system in 1962 affording an infusion of funding. Between 1961 and 1963, CAS hired nearly 200 new faculty to meet growing enrollment demand.
In 1964, the College of Arts and Sciences celebrated its 50th anniversary. Events included a concert at Kleinhans Music Hall, featuring the university chorus, conducted by R.S. Beckwith, and the university concert band, directed by Frank J. Cipolla.
3 phonograph record(s)
Language of Materials
Recording of the Jubilee Concert, April 12, 1964, held at Kleinhans Music Hall celebrating the 50th anniversary of the College of Arts and Sciences.
The College of Arts and Sciences 50th anniversary jubilee concert lp records were gifted to University Archives by Frank Cipolla, in May, 1989 as accession 89-013.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected.
Processed by Amy Vilz, July 2018; finding aid encoded by Amy Vilz, July 2018.
- Phonograph records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- State University of New York at Buffalo. College of Arts and Sciences -- Anniversaries
- Finding Aid for the College of Arts and Sciences 50th anniversary jubilee concert lp records
- Finding aid prepared by Amy Vilz.
- 30 July 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note