Skip to Content

Alumni Association Annual Women's Day records

 Collection — Box: 1, Folder: 7
Identifier: 30/1/1332
A small collection on the May 19, 1970 Annual Women's Day alumnae event. Includes clippings, program, circular, correspondence, and a description of the October 27, 1970 alumnae luncheon meeting.

Dates

  • 1970

Creator

Terms of Access and Use

Alumni Association Annual Women's Day records are open for use.

Copyright

Copyright is held by The State University of New York at Buffalo, University Archives. Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Extent

.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)

Abstract

Material regarding the May 19, 1970 Alumnae Women's Day event at the University at Buffalo.

Historical Note

The Alumni Association has undergone several changes in name and organizational format between 1915 and the present. For a period of eight years, 1932 to 1940, alumni affairs were under the direction of two organizationally distinct bodies, the Alumni Council (representing the interests of the University of Buffalo), and the General Alumni Association. However, these groups shared the same Secretary and merged in 1940.

1915 The first university-wide alumni organization, the Federated Alumni Association, is formed. This group consisted of representatives from the various divisional alumni associations.

1920 The University Council is reorganized. Twelve of the thirty-six members are chosen from the alumni.

1921 The Alumni Club (also known as the University of Buffalo Club) is formed. From 1922 to 1931, this group operated a club house in the former home of General Hayes on North Street. Initially this was a social organization but in the mid 1930s it became a group to raise money for scholarships at UB.

1926 The Federated Alumni Association becomes the General Alumni Association. The General Alumni Association intended to operate an alumni office. It published Alumni News (1926-1929) and appointed a secretary (A.B. Lemon). Because of the lack of financial support, the Association was unable to hire a full time secretary.

1932 The alumni members of the University Council become the Alumni Council. The Alumni Council appoints a full time paid secretary (William G. Cook) and establishes an Alumni Office.

1933 The General Alumni Association appoints William G. Cook as its secretary. Cook is secretary of both the Alumni Council and the General Alumni Association.

1940 The General Alumni Association and the Alumni Council merge to form the General Alumni Board.

1962 With the merger of the State University of New York and the University of Buffalo, the newly created. U.B. Foundation assumes responsibility for alumni programs.

Arrangement

Chronological.

Acquisition Information

The accession of the Alumni Association Annual Women's Day records into University Archives is unrecorded.

Accruals and Additions

No further accruals are expected.

Processing Information

Processed by Amy Vilz, July 2018; finding aid encoded by Amy Vilz, July 2018.
Title
Finding Aid for the Alumni Association Annual Women's Day records
Status
completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Amy Vilz.
Date
23 July 2018
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
und

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US
716-645-2916
716-645-3714 (Fax)