University Flags and Banners collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains flags used on the University at Buffalo campus and in various University at Buffalo events. The collection also contains the University at Buffalo flag carried on the Space Shuttle Atlantis by astronaut Dr. Ellen Schulman-Baker and a United States flag flown on Ground Zero after the September 11, 2001 attacks.
- circa 1962-2004
Terms of Access
The University at Buffalo Flags and Banners Collection, 1957-2004 is open to researchers.
Copyright of flags and banners in the collection held by The State University of New York at Buffalo, University Archives. Copyright in other materials in the collection may be held by their institutions, or the institution's heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holders(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing images from materials in the collection. Most images may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
48.5 Linear Feet (10 storage rolls, 10 oversize boxes)
Language of Materials
Flags used in various University at Buffalo events. Collection also contains flags used by alumni of the University at Buffalo during important events such as the flight of the Space Shuttle Atlantis and during the recovery of Ground Zero.
Collection is organized alphabetically by title of the flag or banner.
University at Buffalo flags were donated to the University Archives by various departments.
The University at Buffalo flag carried by Dr. Ellen-Schulman Baker on the space shuttle Atlantis was presented to the University on February 14, 1990.
The U.S. Flag flown on Ground zero on September 11 was received by the Office of the President on November 8, 2004 and transferred to the University Archives.
Accruals and Additions
Additional accruals are expected.
Collection rehoused and finding aid updated by Alice Wu, July 2016.
- Banners Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Flags Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Protest movements -- New York (State) -- Buffalo Subject Source: Local sources
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- History
- Student protestors -- New York (State) -- Buffalo Subject Source: Local sources
- University of Buffalo -- History
- Finding Aid for the University Flags and Banners collection
- Finding Aid prepared by Alice Wu.
- 18 July 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Roll: 1 (Realia)
- Roll: 2 (Realia)
- Roll: 3 (Realia)
- Roll: 4 (Realia)
- Roll: 5 (Realia)
- Roll: 6 (Realia)
- Roll: 7 (Realia)
- Roll: 8 (Realia)
- Roll: 9 (Realia)
- Roll: 10 (Realia)
- Oversize-box: 11+ (Realia)
- Oversize-box: 12+ (Realia)
- Oversize-box: 13+ (Realia)
- Oversize-box: 14+ (Realia)
- Oversize-box: 15+ (Realia)
- Oversize-box: 16+ (Realia)
- Oversize-box: 17+ (Realia)
- Oversize-box: 18+ (Realia)
- Oversize-box: 19+ (Realia)
- Oversize-box: 20+ (Realia)