Skip to Content

Weinberg Campus Women's League Records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS 200.37
The two scrapbooks provide unique records of the development of Rosa Coplon Jewish Home and Weinberg Campus from its inception through memorial pate photographs to a much later period when the Home, late Campus was in transition through 1996. The red leather scrapbook consists of photographs of memorial plates of the former home based at Symphony Circle in Buffalo that provides significant organizational developmental information (opening, addition of new hospital wings, floors, and other alterations), genealogical information (memorial listings), fundraising organizational support (by organizations within Buffalo and Niagara Falls) and individual support as specific event such as masonic honors. It also acts as a record of various former religious functionaries and community agencies leaders, as well as founders of various groups and institutions. The black scrapbook composed of clippings from Buffalo newspapers and newsletters charts the day-to-day developments, including movement away from a sectarian organization to one open to the entire community, movement out of the city to Getzville, and name changes and additions. It also records leading personnel changes, and developments and changes within elder care. The later administrative records highlight the fundraising role played by the Women’s League, and its eventual closure in 2004.

Dates

  • 1910-2004

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection material in English.

Terms of Access

The personal papers of Weinberg Campus Women’s League and Forerunners Records, 1910-2004, are open for research. There are no restrictions regarding access to or use of this collection.

Copyright

Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Extent

4.08 Linear Feet (2 oversize boxes, 1 manuscript box)

Overview

Materials documenting aspects of the work and history of the Rosa Coplon Jewish Home and Infirmary and Weinberg Campus Women’s League.

Historical Note

The original Women’s League of Weinberg Campus was the Daughters of Israel Jewish Old Folks Home, established in 1910 as a fundraising body and then as an auxiliary in 1915, to care for older members of the Buffalo community who were resident at the Home. The Women’s League of Weinberg Campus, a successor group, was created to support Weinberg Campus by raising funds to help with the needs of the home and the residents. Working with the management leadership, the Women’s League of Weinberg Campus, raised substantive funds that were used over the years to buy a bus to provide transportation for Weinberg residents for outings and events, and to create a garden for residents and their families to enjoy. In addition to fundraising, the Women’s League holds parties for the residents for birthdays and all holidays, as well as other cultural and social activities and services. On August 9, 2004, members of the Women’s League of Weinberg Campus met for a final Board Meeting, and voted to dissolve the organization transferring saved historical and administrative records. Financial assets were also transferred to the Foundation for Jewish Philanthropies for the benefit of Weinberg Campus. During the more recent iteration of the Women’s League, and wide variety of officer roles existed reflecting the diverse areas of service formerly offered by this women’s auxiliary. These included Membership Luncheon and Fashion Show, Tribute Fund, President’s Luncheon, Hospitality in addition to more familiar roles of Publicity, Fund Raising, Treasurer, Corresponding Secretary, Recording Secretary, Vice President, and President. Weinberg Campus administrative support staff and all past presidents were regarded as advisors. This collection can be used in conjunction with the David and Minnie Coplon Family Collection and the Foundation for Jewish Philanthropies Records Collection, both of which have materials relating to Rosa Coplon Jewish Home and Infirmary and Weinberg Campus.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in two series as follows:
  1. Scrapbooks
  2. Administrative

Acquisition Information

Peter Fleischmann gave materials relating to the work of the Weinberg Campus Women’s League to the Jewish Buffalo Archives Project in 2016. The papers were arranged in June 2016 and it was deposited at the University Archives, Special Collections by the Jewish Buffalo Archives Project in June 2016. The Jewish Buffalo Archives Project was founded in late 2007 under the auspices of the Bureau of Jewish Education of Greater Buffalo with a seed grant from the Foundation for Jewish Philanthropies. The Archives Project collects mainly 20th century documentation relating to the diverse histories, religious traditions and cultures of Jewish communities within the Greater Buffalo area of Western New York, encompassing the geographic areas of Erie and Niagara Counties and partners with the University Archives at the University at Buffalo to make these records accessible. The arrangement and description of the papers was made possible by funding obtained through the Foundation for Jewish Philanthropies.

Accruals and Additions

Ongoing accruals are expected to this collection.

Related Resources

Processing Information

Collection was processed by Chana Revell Kotzin in June 2016. Finding aid encoded by Archives Staff, August 2016.
Title
Finding Aid for the Weinberg Campus Women's League and Forerunners Records
Status
completed
Author
Finding aid written by Chana Revell Kotzin, June 2016.
Date
June 2016
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
und

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US
716-645-2916
716-645-3714 (Fax)