Collection of Brandeis University National Women's Committee, Buffalo Chapter
Scope and Contents
The scrapbook compiled by Arline Gellman includes posters, cards, photographs and a newsletter as well as many clippings, recording local chapter activities. It also includes awards received from the national organization.
- Brandeis University. National Women's Committee. Buffalo Chapter (New York) (Organization)
- Gellman, Arline (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access and Use
The collection of Brandeis University National Women's Committee, Buffalo Chapter, 1986-2004 is open for research. There are no restrictions regarding access to or use of this collection.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
As a founding chapter in 1948, the Buffalo Chapter of the Brandeis University National Women's Committee had an extensive local archive that on the closing of the chapter was sent to Brandeis University Archives. This material was subsequently lost, and the remaining copies of local materials destroyed. A local call for any remaining member records in Buffalo was repeated intermittently from 2007 to 2015 and proved of limited success. The National Women's Committee of Brandeis University was formed in 1948 to support the Library and the Buffalo chapter opened in 1948 as a founding chapter. The local chapter joined one of the largest national "Friends of a Library" movements as one of over a hundred local chapters across the country supported by thousands of members. Local chapters held extensive adult education programs, including Buffalo, and many fundraising events designed to raise money for the library. Chapters were recognized for their efforts through various awards from the national body. During the 1980s, the Buffalo chapter received awards for book sales, exemplary performance, membership drives and recognition for its role as a founding chapter.
1 Linear Feet (1 oversize flat box)
Personal scrapbook of Arline Gelman recording the activities of the Buffalo, (New York) Chapter of the Brandeis University National Women's Committee, 1986-2004.
This collection is arranged in one series as follows:
- Scrapbook Materials
Arline Gellman donated the collection in November 2007. The collection was arranged in February 2016 and it was deposited at the University Archives, Special Collections by the Jewish Buffalo Archives Project in February 2016. The Jewish Buffalo Archives Project was founded in late 2007 under the auspices of the Bureau of Jewish Education of Greater Buffalo with a seed grant from the Foundation for Jewish Philanthropies. The Archives Project collects mainly 20th century documentation relating to the diverse histories, religious traditions and cultures of Jewish communities within the Greater Buffalo area of Western New York, encompassing the geographic areas of Erie and Niagara Counties and partners with the University Archives at the University at Buffalo to make these records accessible. The arrangement and description of the collection of the Brandeis University National Women’s Committee, Buffalo Chapter, was made possible by funding obtained through the Foundation for Jewish Philanthropies.
Accruals and Additions
Accruals are not expected to this collection.
Collection was processed by Chana Revell Kotzin in February 2016. Finding aid encoded by University Staff, March 2016.
- Awards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Brandeis University. National Women's Committee. (Waltham, M.A.)
- Brandeis University. National Women's Committee. Buffalo Chapter (New York)
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gellman, Arline
- Invitations Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jewish Buffalo Archives Project
- Jews -- New York (State) -- Buffalo Region -- Archives Subject Source: Local sources
- Jews -- New York (State) -- Western New York Region -- Religion Subject Source: Local sources
- Jews -- New York (State) -- Western New York Region -- Social life and customs Subject Source: Local sources
- Judaism -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the Collection of Brandeis University National Women's Committee, Buffalo Chapter
- Finding aid finalized by Chana Revell Kotzin.
- February 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note