Skip to Content

YMCA Buffalo Niagara records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS 170
Collection consists of records and memorabilia from the YMCA Buffalo Niagara (formerly the Young Men's Christian Association) dating from its inception in 1852. Included are corporate board meeting minutes, reports and correspondence of the central downtown and branch offices, memorabilia, scrapbooks, videos, slides, photographs and news clippings.

Dates

  • 1833-2012
  • Majority of material found within 1852-2006

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection material in English and German.

Terms of Access

The YMCA Buffalo Niagara Records, 1833-2012 (bulk dates 1852-2006), are open for research.

Copyright

Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright, the YMCA Buffalo Niagara, and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Extent

59.81 Linear Feet (24 cartons, 16 manuscript boxes, 4 card boxes, 24 flat boxes, 9 oversize boxes, 1 reel, 1 oversize folder)

Overview

Collection consists of records and memorabilia from the YMCA Buffalo Niagara (formerly the Young Men's Christian Association) dating from its inception in 1852.

Historical Note

1844
The YMCA was founded in London, England when George Williams and a group of fellow drapers wanted to focus on Bible study and prayer rather than spend their life on the streets.
1851
There were 24 YMCAs in Great Britain. The first YMCA in the United States was established in Boston on December 29, 1851.
1852
On April 26, 1852, in the loft of the old Pearl Street Methodist Church, Young Men's Christian Association of Buffalo was started by George W. Perkins. It is the second oldest YMCA in the United States.
1854
First meeting of International Convention of YMCAs held in Buffalo.
1886
Buffalo YMCA hires first female employee, Ellen Brown.
1895
First Annual Turkey Trot - It is the oldest consecutively run footrace in North America.
1897
YMCA Camp Weona is established in Angola, New York on Lake Erie. During the summer months resident camp is offered for ages 7-16 year olds. Camp Weona is open all year round for group outings, outdoor education, adventure trips, and weekend getaways.
1898
Equality Club of Buffalo, Buffalo's oldest service club, established in the Central Department (Downtown) YMCA.
1905
First Street branch opens in Niagara Falls.
1908-1911
Buffalo Germans basketball team sets record of wining 111 straight games.
1915
YWCA of Lockport founded.
1922
Day Camp property in Town of Porter purchased.
1925
Central YMCA of Niagara Falls opens on Portage Rd/Pierce Ave/Main St.
1927
Delaware facility opens.
Hi-Y term created/used for programs specific to high school boys; Jr. Hi-Y and Gra-Y also used - specific to grammar school age children; programs for girls were known by same names, preceded by "Tri-".
1932
First Gold Key Award was presented to Millard S. Burns. The Gold Key Award is awarded to an outstanding volunteer who has contributed to the Association over a period of years.
1934
Women were permitted to join Buffalo Association.
1953
Name changes to Young Men's Christian Association of Buffalo and Erie County.
1946
Camp Weona moves to Gainesville, New York.
1947
Camp for older boys and young men established at Big Hawk Lake, Ontario; known eventually as Camp Kawabe.
1948
LaSalle YMCA opened in former church on 88th Street in Niagara Falls.
1958
Expansion of Central YMCA of Niagara Falls completed and opened.
LaSalle YMCA moved to new building on 80th Street.
First Street YMCA closed and sold to the First Prebyterian Church.
1961
Buffalo Germans inducted into Basketball Hall of Fame.
1962
Ken-Ton and Northeast facilities opened. Day camp begins at Southtowns.
1970
First Street YMCA building demolished.
1968
Eggert Road Program Center established.
1974
Central and LaSalle YMCAs consolidated under Niagara Falls YMCA, as separate branches.
1983
Williams-Emslie branch established.
1992
YMCA of the USA established Healthy Kids Day to encourage healthy development of youth.
1994
Association renamed YMCA of Greater Buffalo.
1997
Lancaster Program Center becomes branch.
2003
Southtowns facility opened.
2005
Portage Ave YMCA branch closes and given to Niagara Gospel Rescue Mission.
2006
Niagara Falls Branch joins Association. Association is renamed YMCA Buffalo Niagara
2010
The YMCA created a new branding called "the Y."

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in twelve series:
  1. Corporate Records
  2. Fundraising
  3. Capital Projects
  4. History
  5. Local Branches
  6. Serials
  7. Media
  8. Memorabilia
  9. Miscellaneous
  10. YMCA Niagara Falls records
  11. Ken-Ton (Kenmore-Tonawanda) YMCA records
  12. YWCA of Niagara Falls records

Acquisition Information

Collection donated by John Murray, President/CEO of YMCA Buffalo Niagara in May 2010. Shirts in boxes 35 and 46 donated by Mary E. Spencer in November 2010. Materials were added by Kyle Donaldson, Financial Development Coordinator of the YMCA Buffalo Niagara, in February 2013.

Accruals and Additions

Additional accruals are expected to this collection.

Related Resources

MS 4, Michigan Avenue Y.M.C.A. Records, circa 1920-1970
Kautz Family YMCA Archives, University of Minnesota

Separated Materials

Materials from an unrelated organization, the Young Men's Association, later renamed as The Buffalo Library, were removed to a separate collection, MS 185.

Processing Information

Processed by Karen Spencer, November 2010.

Accession processed and finding aid updated by Matthew Oliver, March 2015

Series X, XI, and XII processed and finding aid for entire collection updated by Stephanie Barrett, October 2016

Creator

Title
Finding Aid for the YMCA Buffalo Niagara Records
Status
completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Karen Spencer.
Date
2010
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
und

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US
716-645-2916
716-645-3714 (Fax)