G. Lester Anderson papers (Part III)
Scope and Contents
The G. Lester Anderson papers span the period 1951 to 1976, when Anderson was an administrator and faculty member at the University of Buffalo (1951-1968) and Pennsylvania State University (1969-1976). The papers include correspondence, handwritten and typescript drafts of papers and speeches, reprints, reports, bibliographies, newspaper clippings, photographs, news releases and materials for courses. His work centered on the organization and administration of higher education, on higher education in the United States, England and Paraguay and on education for the professions. Of particular interest are working papers for his study of the merger of the University of Buffalo with the State University of New York, his correspondence and reports on the Paraguay Project and materials collected for his study of higher education in England.
- Anderson, George Lester (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
The G. Lester Anderson papers, 1951-1974, are open for research.
Please note: This collection is stored off-site. Access to collection requires 3 business days’ notice. Contact University Archives at (716) 645-2916 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
- Born February 4, Chadron, Nebraska
- Diploma, Chadron High School
- Attended University of Nebraska
- A.B. Magna Cum Laude, Nebraska State Teachers College (English)
- High School Principal, Haigler, Nebraska
- High School Principal, Gordon, Nebraska
- M.A., Colorado State College of Education
- Superintendent of Schools, Hay Springs, Nebraska
- Research Assistant, University of Minnesota
- Ph.D., University if Minnesota
- Assistant Professor of Education, University of Minnesota
- Director of Student Teaching and Director of University High School, University of Minnesota
- Associate Professor, University of Minnesota
- Professor, University of Minnesota
- Dean of Teacher Education, Municipal Colleges of New York City
- Dean of Administration and Professor, University of Buffalo
- Vice Chancellor for Educational Affairs, University of Buffalo
- Acting Chairman, Department of Higher Education, State University of New York at Buffalo
- Acting Chairman, Office of Institutional Research, State University of New York at Buffalo
- Distinguished Service Professor of Higher Education, State University of New York at Buffalo
- Professor of Higher Education and Director of the Center for the Study of Higher Education, Pennsylvania State University
- Retired; Emeritus Professor and Emeritus Director, Pennsylvania State University
- Emeritus Professor of Higher Education, State University of New York at Buffalo
7.5 Linear Feet (5 cartons)
Papers of G. Lester Anderson including correspondence, drafts of papers and speeches, reprints, reports, bibliographies, clippings, photos, and other materials relating to Anderson's role as a consultant to various institutions of higher education. Also includes his working papers for his study of the merger of the University of Buffalo with the State University of New York, and his association with various other organizations.
This collection is arranged in eight series: I. Biographical information, II. Correspondence, III. Speeches, IV. Professional papers, V. Reports, VI. Special projects, VII. Course materials, and VIII. Printed and mimeographed materials.
Donated to the University Archives by G. Lester Anderson, July 8, 1976 and August 29, 1977.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Collection processed by Archives Staff
Finding aid encoded by Danielle White.
- Anderson, George Lester -- Archives
- Anderson, George Lester -- Correspondence
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Drafts (documents)
- English literature -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- United States
- Speeches (documents)
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Archives
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Education -- Faculty
- Universities and colleges -- Administration
- University of Buffalo -- Faculty
- University of Buffalo -- Archives
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Education (Contributor, Organization)
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- University of Buffalo (Contributor, Organization)
- Finding Aid for the G. Lester Anderson papers (Part III)
- Finding aid prepared by Archives staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University Archives Repository
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US