Faculty of Arts and Letters Office of the Dean outgoing correspondence
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of the official outgoing correspondence of Jon Whitmore, the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Letters, during the five years he held that post.
- Whitmore, Jon (Person)
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Faculty of Arts and Letters (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
The bulk of the Faculty of Arts and Letters Office of the Dean outgoing correspondence, 1985-1989, collection is open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
The Faculty of Arts and Letters came into being in 1967 when the University planned a massive academic reorganization. The academic units were divided into seven different faculties, of which Arts and Letters was one. It originally consisted of a number of departments that were in the original College of Arts and Letters including Art, Classics, Drama and Speech, English, Modern Languages and Literatures, and Music. Other newly-formed departments were added to the faculty later like American Studies, African-American Studies, Comparative Literature, and the Center for Media Study. It was disbanded in 1998 when the University again reorganized and reestablished the College of Arts and Sciences.
Jon Whitmore was named Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Letters in August 1985. He left the University (effective January 1990) to become a Dean of the College of Fine Arts at the University of Texas at Austin.
3.25 Linear Feet (6 manuscript boxes, 1 half manuscript box)
Official outgoing correspondence of the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Letters, Jon Whitmore.
This collection is organized chronologically.
This collection was part of an accession that the Archives acquired from the Office of the Dean (Faculty of Arts and Letters) in August 1996. The original accession number was 96-000. This portion of the collection, the Dean's outgoing correspondence, was separated from the rest of the material received during processing.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Collection processed by Karen Walton, February 2004.
Finding aid encoded by Danielle White, March 2015.
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Archives -- State University of New York at Buffalo. Faculty of Arts and Letters
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Faculty of Arts and Letters
- Whitmore, Jon -- Correspondence
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Graduate School (Contributor, Organization)
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Faculty of Arts and Letters Office of the Dean outgoing correspondence
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Walton.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note