Helen H. Lyman papers
II. Professional: contains Lyman's professional work with the American Libraries Association (ALA), the Buffalo Public Library (today the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library), conferences, workshops. Also included is the Library Materials Research Project (LMRP) produced for the Office of Libraries and Learning Technologies at the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare and many of Lyman's published works including Reading and the New Adult Reader and Adult Services: Vision and Performance.
III. Teachings: contains Lyman's outline and syllabi for courses taught at both the University of Wisconsin-Madison Library School from 1966-1977 and the University at Buffalo, 1977-1998. Lyman was Professor Emerita at both of these institutions.
IV. Adult literacy resources: contains collected materials and notes on gathered research in the field of adult literacy. Throughout her life, Lyman actively collected source information on different aspects of adult learning in public libraries.
- circa 1890-2002
- Majority of material found in 1955-1998
- Lyman, Helen H. (Person)
Language of Materials
Terms of Access
RestrictionsAccess to portions of this collection is RESTRICTED.
Copyright is held by the State University of New York at Buffalo, University Archives. Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Please note: this collection has many photocopies of articles by other authors on the subject of adult literacy. These may be studied, but not re-distributed.
14.39 Linear Feet (34 manuscript boxes, 1 half manuscript boxes)
- (March 16) Helen Lucille Huguenor born in Hornell, NY
- B.A., College of Arts and Sciences, University of Buffalo
- Buffalo Public Library (now the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library)
- Circulation Assistant
- Administrative Assistant
- Co-head of the Readers' Bureau with Lucille Adams
- Head, Adult Education department
- B.S. Library Science, University of Buffalo
- Instructor, "Great Books Course", Millard Fillmore College, University of Buffalo
- Board of Directors, Great Book Foundation, Chicago, IL
- Director, American Libraries Association (ALA), Adult Education Survey, Chicago, IL
- Advance Study at the Graduate Library School, University of Chicago
- Adult Services Librarian, Hild Regional Branch, Chicago Public Library
- Public Library Consultant Specialist in Adult Services, Wisconsin Free Library Commission, Madison, WI
- Director, Reference Department (Associate Professor), Lockwood Memorial Library, State University of New York at Buffalo
- Director and Consultant, Reading Guidance Institute, Library School, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Public Library Specialist for Adult Services, Library Services Branch, Office of Education, Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Washington, DC
- Assistant Professor (1966-1972), Associate Professor (1973-1976), Professor (1976-1977), Library School, University of Wisconsin-Madison (named Professor Emeritus in 1978)
- Director and Principle Investigator, Research Project, "Library Materials in Service to the Adult New Reader," Library School, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- (July 21-August 1) Director, Institute for Training in Librarianship: "Film and the Library," Library School, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- President of Adult Services Division, American Libraries Association (ALA)
- Published "Library Materials in Service to the Adult New Reader"
- Published "Reading and the Adult New Reader"
- Published "Literacy and the Nation's Libraries"
- Adjunct Professor, Library and Information Studies Program, State University of New York at Buffalo (later named Professor Emeritus)
- Received the Joseph W. Lippincott Award for distinguished service in the profession of librarianship, American Library Association (ALA)
- First recipient of the Margaret E. Monroe Library Adult Services Award for significant contributions to and an impact on library adult services, the Reference and Adult Services Division (RASD) of the American Library Association (ALA)
- Received the University at Buffalo Distinguished Alumni Award
- (November 4) died in her hometown of Orchard Park, NY
[from press release: "Lyman receives ALA/RASD Monroe library adult services award" by Deborah G. Robertson and Linda K. Wallace, June 1986].
Accruals and Additions
Finding aid encoded by Danielle White, December 2014.
- Adult services in public libraries -- United States
- American Library Association
- American Library Association. Adult Services Division.
- Buffalo Public Library (Buffalo, N.Y.)
- Buffalo and Erie County Public Library (N.Y.)
- College teachers -- United States
- Genealogies (histories)
- Huguenor family
- Libraries -- Cultural programs -- United States
- Libraries and adult education -- United States
- Libraries and community -- United States
- Libraries and illiterate persons -- United States
- Libraries and new literates -- United States
- Libraries and older people -- United States
- Library education -- United States
- Library schools -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Library schools -- Wisconsin -- Madison
- Library science literature
- Library science -- Research
- Library science teachers -- United States
- Literacy programs -- United States
- Lyman, Helen H. -- Archives
- Lyman, Helen H. -- Biography
- Mentoring in library science -- United States
- Reading (Adult education) -- United States
- Research notes
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Archives
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Information and Library Studies
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Information and Library Studies -- Faculty
- University of Buffalo -- Alumni and alumnae
- University of Wisconsin. Library School -- Faculty
- University of Wisconsin. Library School
- Women librarians
- Lyman, Helen H. (Person)
- American Library Association (Contributor, Organization)
- American Library Association. Adult Services Division. (Contributor, Organization)
- Buffalo Public Library (Buffalo, N.Y.) (Contributor, Organization)
- Buffalo and Erie County Public Library (N.Y.) (Contributor, Organization)
- State University of New York at Buffalo (Contributor, Organization)
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Information and Library Studies (Contributor, Organization)
- University of Buffalo (Contributor, Organization)
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Helen H. Lyman papers
- Finding aid prepared by Jessica Tanny.
- Description rules
- Language of description