Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo, Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo records
Scope and Contents
The records of the Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo consist primarily of administrative records and material on community programs.
Early Federation records, constitution and by-laws, financial reports, building and housing information, yearbooks, fund campaign information, correspondence and miscellaneous photographs are located in Series I.
The records of Jewish Family Service (Series II) includes some records of the Jewish Welfare Society, the predecessor to the Jewish Family Service, most records relate to the departments of Child Care Services, Health and Dental, Family Life, and Elder Care.
The records of The Jewish Community Center (Series III) document the beginning of the center, construction plans, finances, various services and programs and the Center's expansion with a new facility in the Buffalo suburb of Getzville, NY.
Documentation of the Buffalo Jewish Camps including budget reports, committee minutes, attendance records, constitution and by-laws, personnel matters, and publicity material is located in Series IV.
V contains material on Jewish education in Buffalo and the Bureau of Jewish Education's role in it: history of the Bureau, constitution and by-laws, committee/board minutes, surveys, enrollment figures, Hebrew instruction material, essay contest, school curriculum evaluations, and correspondence.
Records of the Kadimah School of Buffalo consists of records of the School's beginning, and includes some photographs, clippings, and yearbooks, correspondence with the Jewish Federation of Buffalo and committee minutes are located in Series VI.
The records of the Rose Coplon Jewish Home and Infirmary (Series VII) consists of constitution and by-laws, property deeds, building information, newsletters, personnel records, and Board of Directors minutes.
The majority of the scrapbooks in Series VIII document the Federation's annual United Jewish Fund Campaign, covering the years 1926, 1936-1939, 1941-1942, and 1946-1975. Other scrapbooks document Camp Lakeland, the Federation's Fiftieth Anniversary, and Yom Hashoah material.
- Majority of material found within 1930-1975
- Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English and Hebrew.
Terms of Access
The Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo, Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo Records, 1902-1979, are open for research.
Access to portions of Series II. Jewish Family Service is restricted. Records that contain personally identifiable information are restricted in order to protect individual privacy. These records are closed for 50 years after the date of death. If date of death is unknown, records are closed for 100 years from date of creation. Researchers may contact the University Archives' staff for further information or assistance with these materials.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
The Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo began first under the title, United Jewish Federation of Buffalo, Inc. According to Adler and Connolly's From Ararat to Suburbia: The History of the Jewish Community of Buffalo:
"It all began with the consolidation, in 1903, of the old German philanthropic societies; gradually, as the community matured and as the old stocks mingled with the new, almost all non-synagogue functions in Buffalo were united under the leadership of a single organization." (Ch. 7, p. 227)
The Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo, Inc. today continues in that role, as the umbrella organization for several agencies in the Greater Buffalo area including the Bureau of Jewish Education, Hillel of Buffalo, The Holocaust Resource Center, and the Jewish Community Center of Greater Buffalo.
29.25 Linear Feet (18 cartons, 10 oversize boxes)
The Records of the Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo in the Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo. Included are the records of constituent agencies and member organizations of the Federation such as, the Bureau of Jewish Education, Jewish Family Services, the Jewish Community Center, Kadimah School of Buffalo, and the Rose Coplon Home. Records include minutes, committee reports, publications, correspondence, yearbooks, scrapbooks, and photographs.
This collection is arranged in eight series as follows:
- Internal Matters
- Jewish Family Service
- The Jewish [Community] Center
- The Buffalo Jewish Camps
- Bureau of Jewish Education/Jewish education in Buffalo
- Kadimah School of Buffalo
- Rosa Coplon Jewish Home and Infirmary
The collection was transferred from the State University of New York College at Buffalo (Buffalo State) Archives in 2006 by the Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Collection originally processed by the staff of the State University of New York College at Buffalo (Buffalo State) Archives.
Collection rehoused by Mark McGuire, December 2006-January 2007.
Finding aid updated by Karen Morse, October-November 2006.
- Adler, Selig, 1909-1984
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fliers (printed matter) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jewish Buffalo Archives Project
- Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo -- Archival resources
- Jewish archives -- New York State Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish leadership -- New York (State) -- Buffalo Subject Source: Local sources
- Jews -- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- New York (State) -- Buffalo Subject Source: Local sources
- Judaism -- History -- Modern Period, 1750- Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the Jewish Archives of Greater Buffalo, Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo records
- Finding aid prepared by staff of the State University of New York College at Buffalo (Buffalo State) Archives.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note