Alternative Press collection
Scope and Contents
A collection of material related to labor, anti-war, student unrest, and free speech issues. Marxist-Leninist periodicals issued nationally and locally are included. Pamphlets are also included. The collection contains mimeographed statements and other material issued by the Buffalo Branch of the Marxist-Leninist Party U.S. and the Union of Buffalo Anti-Imperialist Students. Student newsletters are produced at the State University of New York at Buffalo.
- Lipsitz, Richard (Richard J.) (Collector, Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English and Spanish.
Terms of Access
The Alternative Press Collection, 1969-1992 is open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
This collection contains publications of the Marxist-Leninist party of the United States spanning the years 1969-1995. Major publications represented:
The Workers' Advocate (Cleveland, Ohio; Chicago, Illinois)
The Guardian (New York, New York)
Proletarian Internationalism (Chicago, Illinois)
Buffalo Red Star (Buffalo, New York)
Buffalo Workers Voice (Buffalo, New York)
Buffalo Student (Buffalo, New York)
Buffalo Anti-Imperialist Newsletter (Buffalo, New York)
Workers' Daily (Boston, Massachusetts)
North American News (Boston, Massachusetts)
7 Linear Feet (17 manuscript boxes)
A collection of local and national news sources related to labor, anti-war, student unrest, and free speech issues spanning the years 1969-1992. Publications were collected by Richard Lipsitz, Jr., president of the Western New York Area Labor Federation.
Collection is arranged into four series:
- Loose printed material from Marxist-Leninist Party of the U.S.
Collection is arranged alphabetically and then chronologically.
Collection was donated in 2002 by Richard Lipsitz, Jr.
Accruals and Additions
Additional accruals are expected to this collection.
Processed by Archives staff, 2003.
- Anti-imperialist movements -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Anti-imperialist movements -- United States
- Buffalo anti-imperialist newsletter
- Buffalo red star
- Buffalo workers voice
- College students -- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- Political activity
- College students -- Political activity
- Communism -- United States -- Periodicals
- Guardian Newspapers Ltd
- Labor movements -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Labor movements -- United States
- Marxist-Leninist Party, USA
- Marxist-Leninist Party, USA. Buffalo Branch
- Marxist-Leninist Workers Organization
- North America news service (Boston, Massachusetts)
- Peace movements -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Peace movements -- United States
- Philosophy, Marxist
- Radicalism -- United States -- Periodicals
- Social movements -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Social movements -- United States
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Students -- Political activity
- Student movements -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Student movements -- United States -- Periodicals
- Student protesters -- United States
- Student protestors -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Underground press publications -- United States
- Worker's daily (Boston, Massachusetts)
- Workers Advocate
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Campus Unrest at the University at Buffalo Collection (State University of New York at Buffalo) (Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Alternative Press collection
- Finding aid prepared by Archives staff, 2003.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University Archives Repository
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US