Business and Professional Women's Club of Buffalo records
Scope and Contents
This collection documents the activities of Business and Professional Women's Club of Buffalo. The records consist mainly of correspondence, minutes, reports, club newsletters, photographs, and ephemera. Club history is documented through scrapbooks and written histories, as well as through videocassette recording of an event.
- Majority of material found within 1934-1998
- Business and Professional Women's Club (Buffalo, New York) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
Business and Professional Women's Club of Buffalo records, 1919-2000 (bulk 1934-1998) are open for research.
Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
The National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs of the United States of America (later known as Business and Professional Women/USA), was founded in 1919 after the end of World War I. Dr. Lena Madesin Phillips, Mrs. Jean Norris, Mrs. Marion T. Brockway, and Mrs. Jane Johnston Martin, and women recruited during the war met to form a Federation of Business and Professional Women at the Hotel Pennsylvania in New York City. The original constitution was simple, to promote equity for all women in the workplace through advocacy, education, and information. Their first convention was held on July 1919 at St. Louis, Missouri, and elected Dr. Lena Madesin Phillips as a president of the organization.
The two major activities of the National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs: National Business Women's Week and Business, and the Professional Women's Foundation. In 1928, the professional organization first launched National Business Women's Week to recognize employers who had demonstrated sensitivity toward working women, and to recruit new members. Local clubs recognize achievement in their communities through two awards, the Employer of the Year Award and the Woman of the Year Award. In 1956, Business and Professional Women's Foundation was established to empower working women to achieve their full potential, and to partner with employers to build successful workplaces. It was a first foundation that collects, conducts and analyzes issues affecting women in workplace while providing financial assistance for women seeking career advancement and leadership opportunities.
The National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs also monitors federal legislation that affects on working women and educates their members on how to become involved in public policy development for their own workplaces. It was a leader in passing much of the nation's landmark civil and women's rights legislation including the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Women's Business Ownership Act, the Child Care Act of 1991, the Equal Pay Act, and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act.
Business and Professional Women's Club of Buffalo formed in 1934 as a local division of the federation of New York State Business and Professional Women's Clubs. Its focus has been on promoting full participation, equity and economic self-sufficiency for all working women. The Buffalo club provides leadership through advocacy, education and information within its communities. Since 1989, the club has been a member of both Erie County Commission on the Statues of Women and the Women's Action Coalition, and participated the annual Women's History Month as well as the other significant community events. The club's local projects included fund-raising activities for the YWCA's Daycare Center, participation in Domestic Violence Awareness program, support of Ovarian Cancer Screening registration, and initiative of the Take Our Daughters to workday.
14.84 Linear Feet (18 manuscript boxes, 1 flat box, 1 scrapbook; 1 unprocessed manuscript box and 6 unprocessed cartons)
The Business and Professional Women's Club of Buffalo collection documents the organizational activities between 1934 and 1998.
This collection is arranged in four series: I. Administrative files, II. Conferences, events and programs, III. Publications and press coverage, IV. Scrapbooks, photographs, and ephemera.
In 1998, Sandy McPherson Garrubba donated the records of Business and Professional Women's Club of Buffalo (circa 1934-1995).
In July 20, 2000, the University Archives received the additional records (1994-1998 ) from Ramona Gallagher.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Processed by Kuniko Simon, March 2009.
Finding aid encoded by Danielle White, February 2015.
- Administrative records
- Buffalo (N.Y.) -- Women -- 20th century
- Business and Professional Women's Club (Buffalo, New York)
- Business networks -- Women -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Magazines (periodicals)
- Social networks -- Women -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Archives
- Women -- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- Societies and clubs
- Business and Professional Women/USA (Contributor, Organization)
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Business and Professional Women's Club of Buffalo records
- Finding aid prepared by Kuniko Simon.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University Archives Repository
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US