Amherst League of Women Voters records
Scope and Contents
Contains numerous newspaper clippings throughout files that need to be photocopied and scrapbooks that are in poor condition.
- Majority of material found within 1947-2001
- League of Women Voters of New York State (Amherst, N.Y.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
Amherst League of Women Voters records, 1910-2001 (bulk 1947-2001), are open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
The National League of Women Voters was established in February 1920, six months before the 19th Amendment to the Constitution was ratified, which gave women the right to vote following a seventy year struggle.
The League of Women Voters promotes political responsibility through its Voters Service and Citizen Education activities. Members register voters, organize candidates’ forums, publish voting guides and disseminate general information on the legislative process and the function of government on the local, state, and national levels. The League supports positions but never supports a candidate or political party. Members are, however, urged to work as individuals in partisan activities.
Around 1996 the Amherst League of Women Voters merged with the Greater Buffalo Area League of Women Voters (now known as the League of Women Voters of Buffalo Niagara).
12 Linear Feet (24 manuscript boxes, 1 scrapbook enclosure)
This collection contains the business records, meeting minutes, correspondence, publications and other records of the Amherst, N.Y. League of Women Voters.
This collection is arranged in eight series, retaining original order: I. Scrapbooks and media, II. Amherst League of Women Voters - business files, III. Erie County League of Women Voters, IV. League of Women Voters of New York State, V. League of Women Voters of the United States, VI. League of Women Voters publications, VII. Activity files, and VIII. Coalition for Equal Rights.
Additional material, processed in 2018, is physically located at the end of the collection, however it is described in the appropriate series and subseries.
Transferred December 22, 1997 via Clarine Radt, Williamsville, N.Y.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Processed by Archives Staff.
Finding aid encoded in EAD by Nathan Tallman, 2009.
Finding aid migrated to ArchivesSpace by Danielle White, February 2015.
Additional material processed and finding aid updated by Jessica Hollister, January 2018.
- Amherst (N.Y.) -- Voting Subject Source: Local sources
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women -- United States -- Societies and clubs Subject Source: Local sources
- League of Women Voters (U.S.) (Contributor, Organization)
- League of Women Voters of New York State (Contributor, Organization)
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Women's History in Buffalo and Western New York Collection (State University of New York at Buffalo) (Contributor, Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Amherst League of Women Voters records
- Finding aid prepared by Archives staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Box: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 3 (Text)
- Box: 4 (Text)
- Box: 5 (Text)
- Box: 6 (Text)
- Box: 7 (Text)
- Box: 8 (Text)
- Box: 9 (Text)
- Box: 10 (Text)
- Box: 11 (Text)
- Box: 12 (Text)
- Box: 13 (Text)
- Box: 14 (Text)
- Box: 15 (Text)
- Box: 16 (Text)
- Box: 17 (Text)
- Box: 18 (Text)
- Box: 19 (Text)
- Box: 20 (Text)
- Box: 21 (Text)
- Box: 22 (Text)
- Item: 25 (Text)
- Box: 24 (Text)
- Item: 25 (Mixed Materials)