National Organization for Women, Buffalo Chapter records
Scope and Contents
Collection contains materials generated by the organization including newsletters, correspondence and board meeting minutes. Other branches of the organization are represented, including New York State NOW and Northeast Regional NOW. The files include clippings, leaflets and serials on subjects of concern to the Buffalo Chapter, such as local politics and events, and to the organization as a whole, such as the Equal Rights Amendment, reproductive rights, and domestic violence. Materials originate from NOW as well as from other groups concerned with issues affecting women. Records were kept by NOW Chapter Presidents Paulette Hammond, Mary Jo Egner, and Linda Cleveland.
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
National Organization for Women, Buffalo Chapter records, 1973-1986 are open for research.
Portions of this collection are restricted.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
The Buffalo Chapter of the National Organization for Women (NOW), established in the 1970's, was a local affiliate of a national organization dedicated to protecting the rights and independence of women in the United States. Their activities consisted of lobbying legislators, organizing rallies and marches, and educating the public on civil rights issues. One of the primary concerns of the Buffalo Chapter was getting the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) approved, thus affirming the equal application of the constitution to all citizens regardless of sex.
From the NOW website (http://www.now.org)
"The National Organization for Women is the largest organization of feminist activists in the United States.... NOW's actions have established the organization as a major force in the sweeping changes that put more women in political posts; increased educational, employment and business opportunities for women; and enacted tougher laws against violence, harassment and discrimination... Our official priorities are winning economic equality and securing it with an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that will guarantee equal rights for women; championing abortion rights, reproductive freedom and other women's health issues; opposing racism and fighting bigotry against lesbians and gays; and ending violence against women."
6.42 Linear Feet (6 cartons, 1 manuscript box, 1 map case drawer)
The papers of the Buffalo chapter of the National Organization for Women (NOW) from 1973-1986. The files include clippings, leaflets and serials on subjects of concern to the Buffalo Chapter, such as local politics, Equal Rights Amendment, reproductive rights, and domestic violence. Records were kept in part by NOW Chapter Presidents Paulette Hammond, Mary Jo Egner, and Linda Cleveland.
When the finding aid was updated in 2006 as part of EAD retrospective conversion project, series and subseries were imposed. Original processing consisted of only a box list. The collection is now divided into three series: I. Administrative records, II. Subject files, and III. Reproductive rights. Records are in chronological and/or alphabetical order when possible.
Collection was donated to the archives by Gail R. Willsky and Paulette G. Hammond in 1990. Additional material was donated in 2002, by Doris Kent.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Collection processed by Archives staff, circa 1990; box container list revised by Archives staff, 1997; additional materials processed by Erin Verhoef, August 2006; additional oversize materials processed by Sarah Pinard, May 2015.
Finding aid encoded by Danielle White, February 2015.
- Abortion -- United States
- Birth control
- Bumper stickers
- Buttons (information artifacts)
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Color photographs
- Equal rights amendments -- United States
- Feminism -- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- History -- Sources
- Feminists -- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- History -- Sources
- National Organization for Women -- Records and correspondence
- National Organization for Women. Buffalo Chapter (Buffalo, N.Y.) -- Records and correspondence
- National Organization for Women. New York State -- Records and correspondence
- Political campaigns -- New York (State)
- Political campaigns -- United States
- Reproductive health
- Sex discrimination against women -- Law and legislation
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Archives
- Women -- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- Societies, etc.
- Women in politics -- New York (State)
- Women's rights -- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- History -- Sources
- Finding Aid for the National Organization for Women, Buffalo Chapter records
- Finding aid prepared by Archives staff, circa 1990; updated by Erin Verhoef, August 2006 and Sarah Pinard, May 2015.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note