University at Buffalo Law School records
- Majority of material found within (1967-1975 )
Language of Materials
Terms of Access
8.13 Linear Feet (19 manuscript boxes, 1 half manuscript box, 1 oversize folder)
Established in May 1887, the Buffalo Law School originated as the Law Department of Niagara University. In May 1891 it became part of the University of Buffalo and held its third commencement. ABA accredited in 1937 in its 50th anniversary year. In 1962 when UB joined SUNY, it became the only publicly funded law school in New York State until CUNY Law School was added in 1981(?). An LL.B. degree was awarded until 1967; the J.D. degree has been awarded since 1968.
Two histories have been published and are located in Box 28: Buffalo Law School 75 Years (1962) and University at Buffalo Law School 100 Years 1887-1987 (1992). The UB Law Forum published irregularly since 1985 chronicles events beyond these published histories and is located in the Law Library Special Collections 03.
The official name of the institution has changed over the years: University of Buffalo. School of Law (1887-1961); State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Law (1962-1967); State University of New York at Buffalo. Faculty of Law and Jurisprudence (1968-1988); State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Law (1989-1997 ); University at Buffalo Law School, The State University of New York (1998-)
- Niagara Medical School, Ellicott Street
- The Buffalo Library, Clinton Street
- Stafford Building, upper floor, 158 Pearl Street
- Ellicott Square Building, 9th floor
- Third National Bank Building, 275 Main Street at Swan
- 1923- 1949?
- Townsend Hall, sw corner of Delaware Ave. and Niagara Square (present site of Buffalo City Court), served as temporary lecture space
- 77 West Eagle Street, original building (Hoyt Mansion housed law firm of Hoyt & Spratt)
- Temporary classes held in the County Building, 40 Delaware (present site of Erie County Holding Center)
- 77 West Eagle Street, new building
- Prudential Building
- O’Brian Hall, UB North Campus, Amherst
- Hon. Charles Daniels
- Adelbert Moot
- Christopher G. Tiedeman
- Adelbert Moot (Acting)
- Carlos C. Alden
- Francis M. Shea (On Leave 1939-41)
- Mark DeWolfe Howe (Acting 1939-41, On Leave 1943-45)
- Philip Halpern (Acting 1943-46)
- Louis L. Jaffe
- George N. Stevens
- Philip Halpern (Acting)
- Jacob D. Hyman
- William D. Hawkland
- Richard D. Schwartz
- Thomas E. Headrick
- John Henry Schlegel (Acting)
- Wade J. Newhouse
- David B. Filvaroff
- Barry B. Boyer
- R. Nils Olsen
- Makau W. Matua
- Budget and Financial Records
- Erie County Jail Counseling Project
- Associate Deans' Files
Accruals and Additions
- Fleming, Robert B.
- Greiner, William R.
- Law schools
- Law schools -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Mix, Marjorie C.
- Schwartz, Richard D.
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Faculty of Law and Jurisprudence
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Law (1962-1967)
- University of Buffalo. School of Law -- Archives
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Finding Aid for the University at Buffalo Law School records
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Spencer.
- Description rules
- Language of description