Joyce Lehmann's Albright Art School collection
Scope and Contents
Collection includes the dissertation and catalogs, notes and recorded interviews Ms. Lehman collected for her dissertation, The "Albright Art School: of the Buffalo Fine Arts Academy: 1887-1954 (New York)". Also included are two professional papers Ms. Lehmann delivered in 1993 and 2004.
- circa 1940s-2004
- Lehmann, Joyce Woelfle (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
The Joyce Lehmann's Albright Art School collection, circa 1940s-2004 is open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
The Albright Art School was a post-secondary art school in Buffalo, New York, sponsored by the public art museum's governing body, the Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, from 1887 to 1954. It offered studio art instruction in fine and applied arts, accompanying lectures, teacher training, and children's classes. In 1954 it merged into the Department of Art at the University of Buffalo retaining its name until the University joined the State University system in 1962.
Chronology of Institutional Names
- Buffalo Fine Arts Academy founded under leadership of the Young Men's Association.
- Students Art Club - Allen St. School
- Buffalo Art School - professional school established by the Buffalo Fine Arts Academy
- Students Art Club and Buffalo Art School merge to form the Art Students' League
- Art School of the Buffalo Fine Arts Academy
- School of Fine Arts of the Buffalo Fine Arts Academy
- Albright Art School
- University of Buffalo, Department of Art
- State University of New York at Buffalo, Department of Art
1.46 Linear Feet (1 manuscript box, 1 half manuscript box, 2 audiocassette boxes)
Collection includes a dissertation and catalogs, notes and recorded interviews Ms. Lehman collected for her dissertation, The "Albright Art School" of the Buffalo Fine Arts Academy: 1887-1954 (New York).
This collection is arranged in two series: I. Dissertation materials and II. Papers.
Preservica Internal URL
Related Digital Material
Collection was donated by Joyce Lehmann in July 1984, May 2004, and May 2007.
Dissertation was printed from Proquest database and added by processor in December 2010.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Processed by Karen Spencer, December 2010.
Finding aid encoded by Danielle White, January 2015.
Digitized material processed and described by Grace Trimper, December 2022.
- Finding Aid for Joyce Lehmann's Albright Art School collection
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Spencer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note