His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama's Visit to the University at Buffalo records
- State University of New York at Buffalo (Organization)
Language of Materials
Terms of Access
17.3 Linear Feet (10 manuscript boxes, 3 flat boxes, 9 oversize boxes, 1 object)
The University at Buffalo hosted His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama in the fall as part of the 2006-2007 Distinguished Speakers Series. The visit on September 18-20, 2006, by His Holiness, who is the head of state in exile of Tibet and spiritual leader of the Tibetan people, was an unprecedented event for the university and the local community. It gave greater prominence to the University's vibrant Asian Studies Program and many institutional and academic ties to Asia.
The primary purpose of the visit by His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama was educational, and included audiences with University at Buffalo students and faculty, as well as the awarding of a State University of New York honorary doctorate in humane letters to His Holiness. An interfaith service with representatives of local religious communities was also held.
The steering committee charged with planning the visit was chaired by Stephen C. Dunnett, Vice Provost for International Education; William J. Regan, Director for Conferences and Special Events; and Beau Willis, Chief of Staff, Office of the President. The rest of the committee consisted of University administrators and faculty, as well as community members.
Adapted from The 14th Dalai Lama at the University at Buffalo website http://www.buffalo.edu/dalai_lama/.
Accruals and Additions
- Bstan-'dzin-rgya-mtsho, Dalai Lama XIV, 1935- -- Teachings
- Clippings files
- Exhibition records
- Exhibitions (events)
- Interfaith worship -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Lockwood Memorial Library
- Magazines (periodicals)
- Oscar A. Silverman Undergraduate Library
- Peace -- Religious aspects -- Buddhism
- Peace in art
- Planning -- Buffalo (N.Y.)
- Spiritual life -- Buddhism
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Architecture and Planning Library
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Health Sciences Library
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Office of Conferences and Special Events
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Office of Creative Services
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Office of the Vice Provost for International Education
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Special Collections
- Wood, John
- Finding Aid for the His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama's Visit to the University at Buffalo records
- Finding aid prepared by Nathan Tallman.
- Description rules
- Language of description