His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama's Visit to the University at Buffalo records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains materials associated with His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama's visit to the University at Buffalo. Contents include planning records, exhibit panels, artifacts, ephemera, University publications, and publicity clippings.
- State University of New York at Buffalo (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama's Visit to the University at Buffalo, Records, 2004-2007 are open for research.
Copyright is held by the State University of New York at Buffalo, University Archives. Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
The University at Buffalo hosted His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama in the fall as part of the 2006-2007 Distinguished Speakers Series. The visit on September 18-20, 2006, by His Holiness, who is the head of state in exile of Tibet and spiritual leader of the Tibetan people, was an unprecedented event for the university and the local community. It gave greater prominence to the University's vibrant Asian Studies Program and many institutional and academic ties to Asia.
The primary purpose of the visit by His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama was educational, and included audiences with University at Buffalo students and faculty, as well as the awarding of a State University of New York honorary doctorate in humane letters to His Holiness. An interfaith service with representatives of local religious communities was also held.
The steering committee charged with planning the visit was chaired by Stephen C. Dunnett, Vice Provost for International Education; William J. Regan, Director for Conferences and Special Events; and Beau Willis, Chief of Staff, Office of the President. The rest of the committee consisted of University administrators and faculty, as well as community members.
Adapted from The 14th Dalai Lama at the University at Buffalo website http://www.buffalo.edu/dalai_lama/.
17.3 Linear Feet (10 manuscript boxes, 3 flat boxes, 9 oversize boxes, 1 object)
Planning files of the steering committee in charge of planning His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama's visit to the University at Buffalo; exhibit materials, artifacts, ephemera, and publicity clippings of the visit.
This collection is arranged in 6 Series: I. Steering Committee, II. Planning Files, III. Event Planning, IV. Exhibits and Artifacts, V. Ephemera and Publications, VI. Publicity.
Following His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama's visit to the University at Buffalo, various people from the University sent materials to the University Archives. Planning files were donated by John Wood, Associate Vice Provost for International Education. Exhibit materials were donated by the University Libraries.
Accruals and Additions
No future accruals expected.
A large chair that was constructed for His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama's use at the interfaith service is on display in the Special Collections Research Room.
Processed by Nathan Tallman, February 2009, with additional processing in August 2009.
- Bstan-'dzin-rgya-mtsho, Dalai Lama XIV, 1935- -- Teachings
- Clippings files
- Exhibition records
- Exhibitions (events)
- Interfaith worship -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Lockwood Memorial Library
- Magazines (periodicals)
- Oscar A. Silverman Undergraduate Library
- Peace -- Religious aspects -- Buddhism
- Peace in art
- Planning -- Buffalo (N.Y.)
- Spiritual life -- Buddhism
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Architecture and Planning Library
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Health Sciences Library
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Office of Creative Services
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Office of University Events
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Office of the Vice Provost for International Education
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Special Collections
- Wood, John
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Finding Aid for the His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama's Visit to the University at Buffalo records
- Finding aid prepared by Nathan Tallman.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University Archives Repository
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US