Adeline Levine Love Canal research materials (Part II)
Scope and Contents
This collection contains notes from meetings attended, reference materials, communications and other related materials regarding the environmental impact on the Love Canal disaster area. The bulk of the collection is related to the Love Canal Technological Review Committee, which performed the habitability and environmental studies. Adeline Levine's handwritten notes are on many of the meeting handouts.
- Levine, Adeline (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
Adeline Levine Love Canal Research Materials (Part II) are open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
In 1978 Adeline Levine, professor of Sociology at the University at Buffalo visited the Love Canal days after it was declared a national disaster. After speaking with local residents and government officials, Levine was motivated to research the psychosocial impact of toxic waste dump site on the local community. Her published book, Love Canal: Science, Politics, and People (1982) examined the crisis at Love Canal by following the development of local community organizations and scrutinizing the government's response.
In 2007 Levine wrote an described how she became involved in researching the Love Canal environmental disaster.
"Motivated by curiosity I visited the Love Canal for the first time nine days after it was declared a health hazard... The situation was very chaotic at that time. On that first visit I saw people moving out of their well-kept homes, met a pregnant woman convinced she was carrying a monster; spoke to another woman afraid that her daughter would be unable to bear children; saw worried men and women lined up to get information from newly established government offices; talked to some of the government workers trying to bring some order out of the chaos; and met the young woman (Lois Gibbs) who was suddenly thrust into prominence as the leader of a brand new citizen's organization. After eight hours, I came home, determined to do research at Love Canal."
- Levine, Adeline G. "The Love Canal: Social Science Research in a Community in Crisis." Research in Social Problems & Public Policy, 2007, Volume 14, pages 19-29
4.8 Linear Feet (11 manuscript boxes, 1 half box)
Materials collected by Dr. Adeline Gordon Levine, Department of Sociology, State University of New York at Buffalo, for her research on Love Canal; specifically research on the environmental studies of the area later published in her monograph.
Arranged in three series: I. Government Agencies, II. CECOS International, Inc., and III. Related Love Canal Documents. The collection is chronologically arranged unless otherwise noted.
The collection was originally donated by Adeline Levine to the University at Buffalo Law Library. It was later transferred to the University Archives in 2003. One carton of material came from Barry Boyer.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Collection processed by Nathan Tallman, November 2007.
- Hazardous substances -- Environmental aspects Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Love Canal Area Revitalization Agency
- Love Canal Technical Review Committee
- Minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- New York (State) -- Chemical plants -- Waste disposal Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New York (State). Department of Environmental Conservation
- New York (State). Department of Health
- New York (State). Legislature
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States. Environmental Protection Agency
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Environmental Issues in Western New York Collection (State University of New York at Buffalo) (Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Adeline Levine Love Canal research materials (Part II)
- Finding aid prepared by Nathan Tallman.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note