UB Marching Band collection
- University at Buffalo Marching Band (Organization)
Language of Materials
Terms of Access
Special Viewing InstructionsAccess to digital material provided via the University Archives’ Digital Archives online repository.
8.80 Linear Feet (10 manuscript boxes, 1 half manuscript box, 1 carton, 1 small box, 1 storage roll)
0.336 Gigabytes (52 files, 3 folders)
Historical Note and Chronology
- Frank L. Purdy of the Dental School organized a Mandolin and Glee Club
- First mention of a Band at the University
- Gerald Marx, a student, organizes the new band
- John "Spike" Krestic becomes Director
- Air Force ROTC Marching Band forms out of existing band
- Dr. Robert Mols replaces John Krestic as Director of Concert and Marching Bands
- University President Clifford Furnas names Frank J. Cipolla as Director of Bands, Marching Band becomes known as "Pride of the East"
- Band participates in Richard Nixon's Presidential Inaugural Parade in Washington, D.C.
- UB Football drops from Division IA league, funding for Marching Band is cut
- Football team enters Division III, UB Pep Band is organized by students
- Football team returns to Division IA, Marching Band is forme and named "Thunder of the East"
- James Mauck is named Director of Athletic Bands
- Led by Director of Bands Emeritus Frank Cipolla, the UB Marching Band performs with local high school bands, local musicians, and UB alumni during Homecoming Halftime Show, to form "The Mass Band," the largest musical group to perform in UB Stadium since the 1960's
The Marching Band Collection is organized into four series:
I. General Administrative Files, 1960-2001
II. Events, 1960-2000
III. Photographs, 1960-2000
IV. Memorabilia, 1960-2001
Born digital materials are integrated into their corresponding series.
Accruals and Additions
Processed by Archives staff, circa 2001.
Collection fully processed by Mark McGuire, October 2006.
Additional materials added and Finding Aid updated by Joseph E. Patton, April 2015.
Digital materials processed in April 2019 by Grace Trimper, under the supervision of Sarah Cogley. This collection was processed in accordance with the University Archives processing guidelines/policies. For more information, see https://research.lib.buffalo.edu/digitalpreservation
- Finding Aid for the UB Marching Band collection
- Finding aid prepared by Mark McGuire.
- Description rules
- Language of description