UB Marching Band collection
Scope and Contents
The majority of the materials in the collection are records documenting the administration of the Band and Band events. They include records of the Department of Music concerning the Pep Band course, as well as files on fund-raising efforts, budget reports, Band announcements, schedules and meeting minutes, marching drills, and press releases. Event files include information on concert and marching trips to Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. , most notably the Marching Band's participation in Richard Nixon's 1969 Inaugural Parade. Also included are local events such as the High School Band Day and High School Music Institute, a two week band camp during the 1960's for area and state wide high school students, as well as Oozefest and band trips to Letchworth State Park and Darien Lake. The collection also contains a significant amount of photographic documentation and memorabilia.
- University at Buffalo Marching Band (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
UB Marching Band Collection, 1960-2001 is open for research.
Special Viewing Instructions
Access to digital material provided via the University Archives’ Digital Archives online repository and University Libraries Digital Collections.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Historical Note and Chronology
Musical organizations at the University at Buffalo trace back to 1898 when Frank L. Purdy of the Dental School organized a Mandolin and Glee Club. First mention of a UB Band, is found in the 1920 Iris yearbook and for a period of time, from 1927 until the end of World War II in 1945, it is probable that a band did not exist despite students' efforts to reorganize.
- Frank L. Purdy of the Dental School organized a Mandolin and Glee Club
- First mention of a Band at the University
- Gerald Marx, a student, organizes the new band
- John "Spike" Krestic becomes Director
- Air Force ROTC Marching Band forms out of existing band
- Dr. Robert Mols replaces John Krestic as Director of Concert and Marching Bands
- University President Clifford Furnas names Frank J. Cipolla as Director of Bands, Marching Band becomes known as "Pride of the East"
- Band participates in Richard Nixon's Presidential Inaugural Parade in Washington, D.C.
- UB Football drops from Division IA league, funding for Marching Band is cut
- Football team enters Division III, UB Pep Band is organized by students
- Football team returns to Division IA, Marching Band is forme and named "Thunder of the East"
- James Mauck is named Director of Athletic Bands
- Led by Director of Bands Emeritus Frank Cipolla, the UB Marching Band performs with local high school bands, local musicians, and UB alumni during Homecoming Halftime Show, to form "The Mass Band," the largest musical group to perform in UB Stadium since the 1960's
8.80 Linear Feet (10 manuscript boxes, 1 half manuscript box, 1 carton, 1 small box, 1 storage roll)
23.066 Gigabytes (78 files, 3 folders)
Collection of the University at Buffalo Marching Band, 1960-2001, includes records, photographs, memorabilia of the Marching Band, as well as Pep Band, Concert Band, and various ensembles.
The Marching Band Collection is organized into five series:
I. General Administrative Files, 1960-2001
II. Events, 1960-2000
III. Photographs, 1960-2000
IV. Memorabilia, 1960-2001V. Audio Visual, 1962-1969 Born digital materials are integrated into their corresponding series.
Related Digital Material
Collection donated by Valerie Bergeman, 2001. Additional materials donated by Frank Cipolla circa 2000.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Processed by Archives staff, circa 2001.
Collection fully processed by Mark McGuire, October 2006.
Additional materials added and Finding Aid updated by Joseph E. Patton, April 2015.
Digital materials processed in April 2019 by Grace Trimper, under the supervision of Sarah Cogley. This collection was processed in accordance with the University Archives processing guidelines/policies. For more information, see https://research.lib.buffalo.edu/digitalpreservation.Audio visual materials digitized in 2016.
- Banners Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Buttons (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- CD-ROMs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Cipolla, Frank J., 1928-
- Clippings files Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fliers (printed matter) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Marching bands -- New York (State) -- Buffalo Subject Source: Local sources
- Memorabilia Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mols, Robert W.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sandgarten, Michael D.
- T-shirts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Trophies (objects) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the UB Marching Band collection
- Finding aid prepared by Mark McGuire.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note