North Campus Construction records
Scope and Contents
The North Campus Construction collection consists of records regarding the selection of the site for the second campus, acquisition of the selected properties, and construction of the campus. Included in this collection are maps, planning documents and construction programs.
- Majority of material found within ( 1957-1991)
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Office of the Vice President for University Facilities (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
The North Campus Construction Records, 1957-1991 (bulk 1963-1978) are open for research.
Building plans of university buildings may be accessed with approval of the University at Buffalo Facilities Plan Library. For more information, contact University Archives at email@example.com.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
The University at Buffalo's North Campus is located almost exactly in the center of the town of Amherst, NY approximately 3.5 miles from South Campus on the northeast edge of Buffalo, NY. In the mid-1960s, the University was quickly outgrowing its 178-acre campus which was once the grounds for the Erie County Almshouse and County Hospital. After a few unsuccessful attempts to acquire land for a new campus in downtown Buffalo, the University looked to the surrounding suburbs. Then governor of New York Nelson Rockefeller helped the University acquire 2,000 acres in Amherst, and in October, 1968 the University began the intensive planning for the newly-acquired land.
In July 1970, the State University Construction Fund and architectural design firm Sasaki, Dawson, Demay and Associates, Inc. published The Campus Plan in two volumes, which outlined in great detail the vision for the new campus.
For more information on University campuses, buildings, and sites, visit https://library.buffalo.edu/archives/campuses/
Additional historical information on the North Campus of the University at Buffalo is found in the North Campus History Files. For background information regarding the location of the University at Buffalo Health Sciences Center, please refer to the introduction of “Concept Schematic Phase Report” located in box 1, folder 6 of the collection 8/7/999, South Campus Planning Documents.
23 Linear Feet (38 manuscript boxes, 7 half manuscript boxes, 5 flat boxes)
Records concerning site selection, land acquisition and construction of the North Campus of the University at Buffalo.
This collection is arranged in ten series:
- Site Selection and Land Acquisition
- North Campus General Planning Documents
- Colleges A-M
- Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Health Sciences Center, North Campus
- Other Schools and Departments
- North Campus Miscellaneous
- North Campus Related
- State University Construction Fund (SUCF) General Documents
- New York State Construction Documents
Throughout this finding aid, “North Campus” and “Amherst Campus” are used interchangeably. During the early planning and construction phases for the campus, “Amherst Campus” is generally used. Later, the official name for the campus was changed to the “North Campus.” For any documents that did not have a title, the newer official “North Campus” was used. All others retain the original “Amherst Campus” designation they had when published.
When known, the architects both for the entire campus as well as certain specific aspects of the campus design and construction have been listed.
Oversize items were placed in large flat boxes at the end of the collection. Also, a large plan of the entire campus has been placed in the map cases. These items appear below in their proper series or sub-series.
Collection received from Office of Facilities Planning via Mary Basehart in 1982.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Processed by William Offhaus, April 17, 2008.
- Campus planning -- New York (State) -- Amherst Subject Source: Local sources
- Campus planning -- New York (State) -- Buffalo Subject Source: Local sources
- College buildings -- New York (State) -- Buffalo Subject Source: Local sources
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Buildings -- History -- Planning -- Maps
- University of Buffalo -- Archives -- History
- Finding Aid for the North Campus Construction records
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Spencer.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note