Thomas D. Perry papers
- Majority of material found within ( 1970-1982)
- Perry, Thomas D. (Person)
Language of Materials
Terms of Access
3.75 Linear Feet (9 manuscript boxes)
Thomas D. Perry was born in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1924. A graduate of the University at Buffalo's Law School, Dr. Perry served as a legal counselor to Congress and later, Bell Aerospace Corporation. He attended Columbia University, earning a Ph.D. in Philosophy in 1966. Thereafter he taught Philosophy at the University at Buffalo, where he was active in Department activities, including assisting in the development of the University's Philosophy and Law joint degree program.
Dr. Perry was particularly interested in moral reasoning and legal philosophy. He published many works in such distinguished journals as Ethics, The Journal of Philosophy, and Analysis, as well as a book on philosophy, Moral Autonomy and Reasonableness. In 1981, he was honored by the Aristotelian Society in Britain, (counterpart to the American Philosophical Association). In his eulogy of Dr. Perry, friend and colleague Dr. Jorge Gracia referred to this as "…an honor that is only rarely accorded a living philosopher." Dr. Perry had two works published posthumously in 1985, Professional Philosophy: What It Is and Why It Matters, and the article, "Two Domains of Rights." He died in 1982.
Accruals and Additions
- Faculty Records, 1971, 1973-1977, 1979, 1981; includes curriculum vitae, recommendations, memos, correspondence [12 folders].
- Faculty Records: promotions, 1970-1971, 1973, 1977, 1979; includes promotions, recruitment, memos, correspondence [1 folder].
- Faculty Reprints; includes reprints of articles by U.B. faculty [1 folder].
- Academic writing
- Columbia University -- Graduate students
- Columbia University. Faculty of Philosophy
- Dworkin, Ronald
- Hart, H.L.A. (Herbert Lionel Adolphus)
- Hohfeld, Wesley Newcomb
- Justice (Philosophy)
- Law (Philosophy) -- Law and ethics
- Perry, Thomas D. -- Professional philosophy -- Moral reasoning and truth -- Archives -- Correspondence
- Philosophers -- Correspondence
- Philosophy -- Study and teaching
- Soble, Alan
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Department of Philosophy -- Faculty
- Warnock, G. J. (Geoffrey James)
- Finding Aid for the Thomas D. Perry papers
- Finding aid prepared by Amy Vilz.
- Description rules
- Language of description