Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society: Papers of Peter H. Hare (ed.)
Scope and Contents
This collection mainly documents the work Peter Hare conducted during
his tenure as editor of
Records pertaining to the Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy (SAAP) primarily consist of correspondence relating to Hare's tenure as SAAP president, 1988-1991, as well as the Society's newsletters.
- Hare, Peter H. (Peter Hewitt) (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
The Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society: Papers of Peter Hare (ed.), 1971-2002, are open for research.
Copyright is held by The State University of New York at Buffalo, University Archives. Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
The Charles S. Peirce Society, named for American philosopher Charles
S. Peirce (pronounced "purse"), founder of the philosophical method pragmatism,
states that its purpose is to "encourage study of and communication about the
work of Charles S. Peirce and its ongoing influence in the many fields of
intellectual endeavor to which he contributed" (from Charles S. Peirce Society
The Society's journal, The Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society, founded in 1965, publishes work on every aspect of the history of American philosophy, with an emphasis on Peirce and other pragmatists. Since 1974, the journal has been edited and published from the University at Buffalo.
Peter Hare taught Philosophy at UB from 1962 until his retirement in 2001. Author of numerous articles and books, Hare has been rewarded for his professional work. In 1996, he was presented with Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy's Herbert W. Schneider Award "for distinguished contributions to the understanding and development of American philosophy" (from UB Reporter, vol. 36, no. 17). Hare has edited The Transactions since 1974.
10 Linear Feet (24 manuscript boxes)
Collection of correspondence and editorial work for the journal, The Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society, as maintained by UB Professor of Philosophy, Peter H. Hare, 1971-2002. Also includes some records kept by Hare from the Charles S. Peirce Society and the Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy (SAAP).
This collection is arranged in three series: I. The transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society, II. Charles S. Peirce Society, 1974-1997, III. Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy (SAAP),
Partially processed at an earlier date, Subseries I.B. Submissions, was found to have three different organizational systems:
- Articles and Book Reviews: filed separately. Most records are arranged by author. (Note: book reviews are arranged by the book's author).However, some correspondence is arranged by the correspondent's last name.
- Articles and Book Reviews: filed together. Correspondence regarding each article or review is arranged alphabetically by author.Occasionally, correspondence regarding a book review is arranged by the author of the review itself.
- Rejected and Published submissions. Includes both articles and book reviews, arranged by author.
In the final processing, the three organizational systems were linked intellectually, but not physically.
The Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society: Papers of Peter H. Hare (ed.), 1971-2002, were donated by Philosophy Professor Peter Hare on December 5, 2002, as accession #02-500.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Processed by Amy Vilz, May 2005.
Finding aid encoded by Danielle White, December 2014.
- Academic writing
- Charles S. Peirce Society -- Archives
- Charles S. Peirce Society -- Miscellanea
- Charles S. Peirce Society -- Records and correspondence
- Dewey, John
- Hare, Peter H. (Peter Hewitt)
- Peirce, Charles S. (Charles Sanders) -- Appreciation
- Peirce, Charles S. (Charles Sanders) -- Influence
- Peirce, Charles S. (Charles Sanders) -- Societies, inc.
- Philosophy -- Authorship
- Philosophy, American -- 19th century
- Philosophy, American -- 20th century
- Santayana, George
- Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy -- Records and correspondence
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Department of Philosophy -- Faculty
- Finding Aid for The Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society: Papers of Peter H. Hare (ed.)
- Finding aid prepared by Amy Vilz.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note