Campus Unrest: Research conducted by Dean G. Pruitt and James Gahagan, Psychology Department
- 1967-1972, 1975
- Pruitt, Dean G. (Person)
Language of Materials
Terms of Access and Use
4 Linear Feet (9 manuscript boxes)
This archive contains a record of a research project that started in 1969 and ended in 1973. Its main product was an intensive case study of the Buffalo Student Crisis in which the city police occupied the campus and 45 faculty members went to jail. The case study was directed by [Dean G. Pruitt] and staffed by Dr. James Gahagan, a postdoctoral fellow with a deep knowledge of the contemporary youth culture, and several graduate students in social psychology. The research was housed in the Department of Psychology which was then located on the Ridge Lea Campus.
[Pruitt's] main research interest was in social conflict, as was Dr. Gahagan's. Hence, when he joined [Pruitt] in 1969, [they] decided to observe the developing conflict between the university administration and the radical students on the UB campus. [They] wrote extensive notes on the mini-crisis of 1969 and were ready, with a team of trained observers, when the major student uprising hit the campus in February, 1970. [Their] intention was to write a theoretical book based on [the UB case as well as five other campus unrest cases], but this never materialized. All [they] published was a book chapter on the UB case and a Spectrum article and two conference presentations on [their] student surveys.
From "Archive of the UB Student Crisis of 1970" by Dean G. Pruitt, March 21, 2001.
- Prepared chronologies and writings
- Gathered research
- Surveys Series
Accruals and Additions
- Bennis, Warren G.
- Campus violence -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Chronologies (lists)
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- College students -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Judicial records
- Letters (correspondence)
- Narratives (document genres)
- Police -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Regan, Peter F.
- Riots -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Siggelkow, Richard A.
- Student movements -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Student protestors -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Student strikes -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Student unions -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Student-administrator relationships -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Campus Unrest at the University at Buffalo Collection (State University of New York at Buffalo) (Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Campus Unrest: Research conducted by Dean G. Pruitt and James Gahagan, Psychology Department
- Finding aid prepared by Jessica Tanny.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- December 2014: Finding aid migrated to ArchivesSpace by Gabrielle Carlo
- 2019 November 11: Finding aid revised to include additions, series 2019-027, and container instances updated by Marie Elia