Julian Park papers
- Park, Julian (Person)
Language of Materials
Terms of Access
5 Linear Feet (10 manuscript boxes, 1 oversize box, 1 map case drawer)
- (Nov. 6) Julian Park born in Buffalo, New York, son of Dr. Roswell Park, the namesake for the Roswell Park Cancer Institute, an internationally known cancer research facility in downtown Buffalo.
- Received his B.A. from Williams College.
- Studied at the University of Paris and Columbia University.
- Private Secretary to Cornelia Bentley Sage Quinton, Director of the Albright Art Gallery.
- Instructor in French, University of Buffalo.
- Secretary for the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Married Florence Parkes. They would have three children: Roswell, David Julian, and Martha.
- Served as French Consul for Western New York.
- Named Acting Dean to the newly formed College of Arts and Sciences.
- Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Helped found the Scriptores club writers circle with Dr. Augustus H. Shearer, Librarian of Grosvenor Library, and Marc A. Rose, managing editor the Buffalo Evening News.
- Served on Council of the American Association of University Professors.
- President of the Buffalo Association of the Sons of the Revolution.
- Instrumental in starting Buffalo branch of the Foreign Policy Association.
- Lecturer, Geneva School of International Studies.
- Member of the Committee on Scholarships, Association of American Colleges.
- President of the American Civil Liberties Union, Buffalo Branch.
- Appointed Chevalier (knight) of the Legion of Honor.
- Chairman, Commission on Teacher Training, New York State Association of Colleges.
- Director of the newly-formed Pan American League Against Cancer.
- Ran as a candidate for a seat in the United States Congress on the Democratic Ticket. Park said of his decision to run: "It had always seemed to me that we who teach and preach politics ought to get a practical taste of it..."
- (March-November) Trustee, Grosvenor Library (forerunner to the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library). He resigned the post to take over the Directorship of the Library while the current Director was on military leave.
- Acting Director of Grosvenor Library, during wartime emergency.
- Trustee, Grosvenor Library.
- Promoted to "Officier of the Legion of Honor" by the President of France for his contributions to strengthen the bonds of friendship between France and the United States.
- (July) Retired from the Deanship of the College of Arts and Sciences and appointed Dean Emeritus and University Historian.
- President, Buffalo Historical Society.
- Presented the prestigious Red Jacket Award from the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society.
- (July 17) Died, Buffalo, NY.
This collection is arranged in nine series and subdivided into subseries:
I. Council of the University, I.A. Charters and Bylaws, I.B. Council Minutes, I.C. Stocks, I.D. Mortgagaes and Land.
II. Medical Department, University of Buffalo, II.A. Faculty Minutes, II.B. Medical School Documents, II.C. Buffalo Medical Journal articles.
III. University Extension Movement, 1904-1911.
IV. College of Arts and Sciences, University of Buffalo, 1900-1962.
V. Correspondence, 1917-1965.
VI. Publications and awards.
IX. Lecture slides.
Accruals and Additions
- Capen, Samuel Paul, 1878-1956
- College administrators -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Furnas, C. C. (Clifford Cook), 1900-1969
- Lantern slides
- Medical colleges -- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- History
- Norton, Charles P. (Charles Phelps), 1858-1923
- Park, Julian -- Archives -- Correspondence
- Park, Roswell
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute -- History
- University of Buffalo -- Students
- University of Buffalo -- History -- Sources
- University of Buffalo. College of Arts and Sciences -- Faculty -- History
- University of Buffalo. School of Medicine -- Faculty -- History
- University of Buffalo. University Council
- Finding Aid for the Julian Park papers
- Finding aid prepared by Jessica Tanny.
- Description rules
- Language of description