Peter H. Hare Family papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of personal letters from Daphne Kean Hare to Peter Hare from 1955 to 1992, and letters to Peter or Daphne Hare from friends, former teachers and professors, and family members including parents, siblings and children. Of note are some genealogical writings by Peter's father, Michael Meredith Hare (1909-1968). Also included are materials and correspondence from Peter Hare's years in the Philosophy Department, miscellaneous writings, and personal and professional files.
- Majority of material found within 1953-1982
- Hare, Peter H. (Peter Hewitt) (Person)
- Hare, Daphne Kean (Person)
- Hare, Jane J. (Person)
- Hare, Michael M. (Person)
- Madden, Edward H. (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
The Peter H. Hare Family Papers, 1953-2006 (1953-1995 bulk) are open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Peter H. Hare was born March 12, 1935, grew up on Long Island, New York, and attended the Groton School. He received his B.A. from Yale University in 1957, and his M.A. in 1961 and Ph.D. in 1965 from Columbia University. He was a faculty member in and frequent chairman of the Philosophy Department at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York from 1962 until his retirement in 2001. He was named Distinguished Service Professor in 1997. He married Daphne Kean in 1957 who died in 1995. In 2000, he married Susan Howe, a poet and specialist in American literature. Peter died on January 3, 2008. An obituary may be read here.
Peter Hare Family members include:
- Mother - Jane Perry Jopling Hare (1910-1975)
- Father - Michael Meredith Hare (1909-1968)
- Brother - Michael S. Hare (born 1932)
- Sister - Sara Perry Hare [Crane] Liebold (born 1937)
- Uncle - Montgomery Hare (born 1911)
- Paternal Grandmother - Constance Parsons Hare (Mrs. Montgomery Hare) (born 1873)
- Wife - Daphne Kean Hare (1937-1995)
- Mother-in-Law - Lucille Lawrence Kean
- Brother-in-law - Kelvin L. Kean
- Second Wife - Susan Howe
Daphne Joan Kean Hare was born in 1937. She received a bachelor’s degree from Barnard College and a medical degree from Cornell University. She was on the faculty of the departments of Medicine and Biophysical Sciences in the School of Medicine and Biophysical Sciences at the State University of New York at Buffalo before serving as director of the Medical/Dental Division of the United States Veterans Administration. She died in Buffalo, N.Y. in 1995.
2.92 Linear Feet (7 manuscript boxes)
Personal correspondence to Peter H. Hare from his wife Daphne Kean Hare, and to Peter or to Daphne Kean Hare from family and friends, beginning in their college years through the early 1990's. Also includes some professional materials and correspondence.
This collection is arranged in three series:
- Personal Correspondence
- University at Buffalo
- Daphne Kean Hare
Collection donated by Peter H. Hare in March, 2007.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Processed by Karen Spencer, September 2010.
- Finding Aid for the Peter H. Hare Family papers
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Spencer.
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Local Best Practices
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note