Buffalo and Western New York History clippings collection
Scope and Contents
Contained in this collection are clippings mostly from local newspapers which deal with the history of Western New York and the City of Buffalo. The bulk of the articles are dated between 1950 and 1994.
- Majority of material found within 1950-1994
- Furnas, Sparkle Moore (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
Buffalo and Western New York History clippings collection, 1870-1994, are open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Sparkle Moore Furnas was an avid clipper of newspapers and donated several clippings of the University Archives. See Acquisition Information for more details on this collection.
3.336 Linear Feet (7 manuscript boxes, 1 half manuscript box)
Contained in this collection are clippings mostly from local newspapers which deal with the history of Western New York and the City of Buffalo.
This collection is arranged in thirteen series: I. Architecture, buildings and parks, II. Business Economy/Industry, III. Controversies, IV. Community/Cultural, V. Education, VI. Government, VII. History, VIII. Neighborhoods, IX. Newspapers/Communications, X. Organizations/Clubs, XI. Politics, XII. Social issues, and XIII. Western New York.
The clippings from this collection were donated to the University Archives by Sparkle Moore Furnas, wife of Chancellor Clifford C. Furnas. These clippings were originally part of a larger clippings file for the University at Buffalo and Western New York. The clippings concerning Western New York and the City of Buffalo were removed to create a separate collection.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Processed by Archives Staff.
- Architecture -- Buffalo (N.Y.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Buffalo (N.Y.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Buffalo (N.Y.) -- Periodicals Subject Source: Local sources
- Clippings files Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Archives
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Buffalo and Western New York Architecture Collection (State University of New York at Buffalo) (Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Buffalo and Western New York History Clippings collection
- Finding aid prepared by Archives Staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- November 2014: Finding aid migrated to ArchivesSpace by Danielle White.