Skip to Content

Women’s Club of the State University of New York at Buffalo records

 Collection — Box: 1-4
Identifier: 3/1/1108
The Women’s Club of the State University of New York at Buffalo Records includes board meeting minutes, committee reports, records regarding new members, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings and president’s books. There also are a number of records relating to various events and collaborations between the Women’s Club and other organizations that exist on the campus.

Dates

  • 1945-2005
  • Majority of material found within (1970’s-2005 )

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection material in English.

Terms of Access

Women’s Club of the State University of New York at Buffalo Records are open for research. Please note: This collection is stored off-site. Access to collection requires 3 business days’ notice. Contact University Archives at (716) 645-2916 or lib-archives@buffalo.edu to schedule an appointment.

Copyright

Copyright is held by the State University of New York at Buffalo, University Archives. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Extent

5 Linear Feet (4 boxes)

Overview

This collection includes scrapbooks, meeting minutes and new member records.

Historical Note

The Women’s Club of the University of Buffalo was organized on May 1, 1946. Membership was extended to women members and wives of members of the University Council, faculty and administration.

The purpose of the Women’s Club is “to promote the interests of the University in any way possible, to further sociability and to develop common interests among its members.” In the early 1950’s, the organization raised money for the Faculty club and started the Grace W. Capen Loan Fund for University at Buffalo students. Later the Club became most visibly active with its annual Chancellor’s Ball (now known as the Scholarship Ball) which not only raised money for student scholarships but became an important part of the social life of the University as well.

Other projects undertaken by the Women’s Club included aid to families of faculty members in Europe in the difficult years following World War II and providing volunteer service for the local veteran’s hospital.

The Club also sponsors interest groups in a variety of areas including garden study, antiques, books, languages, square dancing, sport and bridge.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in five series: I. Committee Reports, II. Meeting Minutes, III. New Members, IV. Scrapbooks and President’s Books, and V. Miscellaneous.

Physical Location

Please note: This collection is stored off-site. Access to collection requires 3 business days’ notice. Contact University Archives at (716) 645-2916 or lib-archives@buffalo.edu to schedule an appointment.

Acquisition Information

The Women’s Club of the State University of New York at Buffalo Records were deposited in the University Archives in the spring of 2007.

Accruals and Additions

Further accruals are expected to this collection.

Related Resources

  1. 3/1/423, Women's Club of the State University of New York at Buffalo Records,1946-2003
  2. 3/1/506, Women's Club of the State University of New York at Buffalo Relief Project Records, 1947-1949
  3. 3/1/00-1, Women's Club Newsletter

Processing Information

Collection processed by Stephanie Tocco, September 2007.

Creator

Source

Title
Finding Aid for the Women’s Club of the State University of New York at Buffalo records
Status
completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Stephanie Tocco.
Date
2008
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
und

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US
716-645-2916
716-645-3714 (Fax)