Hayes Hall Historic District Architectural plans and drawings
Scope and Contents
Copies on mylar of architectural plans, drawings, photographs and site plans of the Hayes Hall District on the South Campus of the State University of New York at Buffalo, prepared by the Adaptive Reuse Studio, under the direction of Dr. Beverly F. Albert and John Conlin, Spring 1988 and Spring 1989, at the School of Architecture and Planning, State University of New York at Buffalo. The collection includes plans and illustrations of the Erie County Hospital (now Hayes Hall), the Maternity Hospital (later Science Hall, then Hochstetter Hall and now Wende Hall), the Kitchen Annex (now Hayes D), and the Nurses' Dormitory (now Townsend Hall). Also included are plans and drawings of Beck Hall (once the Bookstore and later the Faculty Club), a building designed by E. B. Green and built in 1930.
The plans, drawings and photographs (all except 8, 9, and 27) were used in the book Hayes Historic District, found in both the University Archives and Architecture and Planning Library under the call number NA108.B8 H388 1989.
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Building plans of university buildings may be accessed with approval of the University at Buffalo Facilities Plan Library. For more information, contact University Archives at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of Access
Hayes Hall Historic District Architectural plans and drawings is open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in th collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
The campus of the University of Buffalo (now the South Campus at the State University of New York at Buffalo) was originally the site of the Erie County Almshouse and County Hospital. When the University Council members learned that the County planned to relocate the Almshouse, they decided that the Almshouse grounds would be the perfect location for the development of its campus. In 1909 the University bought 106 acres of the land from the County. It later purchased an additional 72 acres from the County and private individuals.
The University's new campus, formally dedicated in 1920, consisted of mainly the former buildings from the Almshouse. In 1921 construction was begun on Foster Hall, the first McKim, Mead and White building to be constructed. It wasn't until 1927 that the former County Hospital main building was modified to become Hayes Hall where the University's administration was housed.
In 1930, the University Committee on Buildings and Grounds was authorized to "engage an architectural expert to investigate the whole matter of reconstruction of buildings with a view of securing a harmonious treatment of all buildings and spaces involved." The result was a campus plan drawn up by architects E.B. Green and Son and Albert Hart Hopkins, dated May 1, 1930, which closely resembled the 1920 campus perspective. The University then consulted Ralph Adams Cram, the Supervising Architect of Princeton University, who gave his unhesitating endorsement to the plan prepared by Green and Hopkins. The plan established the basic layout of the campus and guided its development into the 1950s.
3.42 Linear Feet (1 map drawer)
Copies on mylar of architectural plans, drawings, photographs and site plans of the Hayes Hall Historic District on the South Campus of the State University of New York at Buffalo. The plans, drawings and photographs were used in the book Hayes Historic District, found in both the University Archives and Architecture and Planning Library under the call number NA108.B8 H388 1989.
The plans in this collection are arranged into six series; one each for the five buildings surveyed, and one for general and miscellaneous items. The plans have been stored in four oversize folders in a map case drawer. Though the original numbering and order of the plans has been maintained within the oversize folders, the plans listed in the container list below have been arranged by building. Plan #8, having dimensions of 24 x 54”, did not fit in the oversize folders. It has been rolled and is located in the same map case drawer as the other plans.
- Hayes Hall/Erie County Hospital
- Wende Hall/Maternity Hospital
- Townsend Hall/Nurses' Dormitory
- Hayes D/Kitchen Annex
- Beck Hall
- General and other
This collection was donated to the University Archives by Beverly Foit-Albert in 1989.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Processed by Archives staff, August 2011.
- Architectural drawings (visual works)
- Architectural photography -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Buffalo (N.Y.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
- College buildings -- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- Designs and plans
- Hayes Hall (Buffalo, N.Y.)
- Historic buildings -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Historic buildings -- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- Remodeling for other use
- Historic districts -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Archives
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Buildings -- Designs and plans
- University of Buffalo -- Archives
- Finding Aid for the Hayes Hall Historic District Architectural plans and drawings
- Finding aid prepared by Archives staff, August 2011.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note