Richard A. Siggelkow Campus Unrest collection
- Siggelkow, Richard A. (Person)
Language of Materials
Terms of Access
1.251 Linear Feet (3 manuscript boxes )
Richard A. Siggelkow received his B.A. (1941), M.A. (1948), and Ph.D. (1953) in Education from the University of Wisconsin. He came to the University at Buffalo in 1958 as Dean of Students. In 1967 he was promoted to Vice President for Student Affairs and served in that capacity until his retirement in 1983. Dr. Siggelkow also was a faculty member in the Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology.
Prior to his service at UB he had been assistant dean of the School of Education at the University of Wisconsin from 1956 to 1958 and associate director of the University of Wisconsin Teacher Placement Bureau from 1949-1956. He also taught history and social studies at the secondary school level from 1945 to 1947.
During World War II he rose from the rank of private in the Field Artillery to a major during his active duty period. He retired from the U.S. Army Reserves as colonel. He was awarded the Bronze Star during his 38 months of service in the European and African Theaters of Operations during the war and took part in eight battle campaigns.
Historical NoteAs Vice President for Student Affairs, Richard Siggelkow was intimately involved in the years of campus unrest at the University at Buffalo, particularly 1966 through 1970. Issues of academic freedom, recruitment by the Selective Service and Dow Chemical Corporation, the Vietnam War, as well as demands for a more democratic administration of the University that would include faculty and students, caused protests on campus.
Other Finding Aids
Accruals and Additions
- Academic freedom -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Campus Unrest at the University at Buffalo Collection (State University of New York at Buffalo)
- Campus violence -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- College administrators -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Fliers (printed matter)
- Negatives (photographic)
- Riots -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- State University of New York at Buffalo
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Archives
- Student protestors -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Student strikes -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Student-administrator relationships -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Finding Aid for Richard A. Siggelkow Campus Unrest collection
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Spencer.
- 2011 June
- Description rules
- Language of description