Skip to Content

University Libraries Strategic Planning Process records

 Collection — Box: 1-2
Identifier: 13/1/823
This collection contains the records of University at Buffalo Libraries' short-term strategic planning process from November 2001.

Dates

  • 2001-2008

Language of Materials

Collection material in English.

Terms of Access

University Libraries Strategic Planning Process records, 2001-2008, are open for research.

Copyright

Academic records: University records are public records and once fully processed are generally open to research use. Access to student and personnel records is restricted for 80 years from the date of creation. See reference staff for details. No restrictions on access apply to published records. The restriction of university records is subject to compliance with applicable laws, including the Freedom of Information Act. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the archives' usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Extent

1 Linear Feet (2 manuscript boxes)

Overview

In November 2001, the University at Buffalo Libraries embarked on a short-term strategic planning process. This collection contains the records of that process.

Historical Note

Between 2001 and 2005, a Strategic Planning Process involved all staffs in the University Libraries. It focused on knowing what other research libraries were doing in several key areas and how, as organization, the University Libraries planned to approach those same areas. Emphasis was placed on having a better informed staff who could be expected to help address the challenges facing research libraries in the 21st century.

Chronology

1846
University of Buffalo founded. Medical Library established.
1909
Law School Library established.
1913
Courses in liberal arts first offered at the University and a general library collection begins.
1922
Ruth Bartholomew appointed first librarian.
1923-1924
Library Committee of the University of Buffalo Council consists of Mrs. Edward H. Butler, Philip Becker Goetz, and George D. Crofts.
1927
In December, the main library moves from Foster Hall to Hayes Hall. The Chemistry and Pharmacy collections remain in Foster, forming a departmental library.
1928-1929
Science Library formed in Foster Hall, combining natural sciences, chemistry, pharmacy, and medical books. Thomas B. Lockwood contributes money for the erection of the Lockwood Memorial Library.
1934
Charles D. Abbot named Director of Libraries.
1935
In April, Lockwood Memorial Library opened for use. In May, Formal dedication of Lockwood Library.
1935-1936
"The Friends of Lockwood Memorial Library" formed.
1937
Poetry Collection established; the Council authorized the Chancellor to request the assistance of the Carnegie Corporation in developing a manuscript collection of American and British poets from 1880 to the present.
1951-52
Lockwood Library becomes a depository for the publications of the Atomic Energy Commission.
1955
Polish Collection established. The post of Assistant Director of Libraries is created and filled by James Heslin on March 1.
1956-1957
Major administrative changes occur.
1958
Chemistry Library established.
1960-1961
Health Science Library created through the combination of the libraries of Medicine, Dentistry, Biology, Nursing, and Pharmacy.
1962
University of Buffalo becomes part of the State University of New York.
1962-1963
Lockwood Library becomes a depository library for United States Government documents. Lockwood Library obtains the Human Relations Area Files (HRAF.)
1964
University Archives established.
1965
Mathematics Library opened.
1966
Engineering Library, Physics Library, and Geology and Geography collections merged to become the Science and Engineering Library.
1967
University Libraries join the Association of Research Libraries.
1968
One Millionth volume added to the collections.
1970
Music Library opened.
1973
Undergraduate Library (UGL) established. Central Technical Services (CTS) formed.
1975
Architecture and Environmental Design Library Opened. (Now called Architecture and Planning Library)
1979
Dedication of Lockwood Memorial Library on the North Campus.
1981
Two million volume added to the collections.
1983
Geac automated circulation System implemented.
1987
Center for Book Preservation opened.
1990
BISON (Buffalo Information System Online) inaugurated.
1995
Digital library initiative is begun.
1996
BISON implemented with public graphical interface workstations.
1997
Electronic reserves were introduced and the Library Help Center in UGL provided assistance and offered workshops on e-mail, creating home pages, and word processing.
1998
A CrossPlex-enabled online catalog provided web access to the NOTIS OPAC.

Chronology

Taken from Commemoration of the Three Millionth Volume at the University of Buffalo's website.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in five series: I. Strategic Planning Process, II. Environmental scans, III. Strategic Planning Action Groups, IV. Core Planning Group (CPG), and V. Town Forum minutes and reports.

Acquisition Information

The University Libraries Strategic Planning Process records, 2001-, were donated to the University Archives by the University Libraries in 2005.

Accruals and Additions

Further accruals are expected to this collection.

Processing Information

Processed by William Offhaus, June 2005.
Title
Finding Aid for the University Libraries Strategic Planning Process records
Status
completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by William Offhaus.
Date
2008
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
und

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US
716-645-2916
716-645-3714 (Fax)