Women's Club of the State University of New York at Buffalo records
Language of Materials
Terms of Access
8 Linear Feet (13 manuscript boxes, 1 half manuscript box, 1 record carton, 2 flat boxes, and one scrapbook)
The Women's Club of the University of Buffalo was organized on May 1, 1946. Membership was extended to women members and wives of members of the University Council, faculty, and administration.
The purpose of the Women's Club is "to promote the interests of the University in any way possible, to further sociability and to develop common interests among its members."
In the early 1950's, the organization raised money for the Faculty Club and started the Grace W. Capen Loan Fund for University of Buffalo students. Later the Club became most visibly active with its annual Chancellor's Ball (later known as the Scholarship Ball) which not only raised money for student scholarships but became an important part of the social life of the University as well.
Other projects undertaken by the Women's Club included aid to families of faculty members in Europe in the difficult years following World War II and providing volunteer service for the local veteran's hospital.
The Club also sponsored interest groups in a variety of areas including garden study, antiques, books, languages, square dancing, sports and bridge.
Accruals and Additions
- Women's Club (State University of New York at Buffalo) (Contributor, Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Women's Club of the State University of New York at Buffalo records
- Finding aid prepared by Archives staff.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- October 2014: Finding aid migrated to ArchivesSpace by Danielle White.