Edgar Zodiag Friedenberg papers
Scope and Contents
The Friedenberg Papers consist largely of personal and professional correspondence and manuscripts of his books, articles, and book reviews.
The bulk of the correspondence dates from 1964 to 1969, but there is some earlier (1953-1963) and later (1970, 1973-1976) correspondence. Friedenberg carried on a dialogue in his letters with a number of his fellow critics about the problems of education and youth. Notable figures include Bennett Berger, Robert Coles, Jules Cohen, Paul Goodman, Maxine Greene, John Holt, Norman Podhoretz, David Riesman, Michael Rossman, and Frederick Wiseman. Friedenberg also corresponded with a number of lesser known figures, including teachers, high school and college students who had read and were influenced by his ideas. Some of the correspondence consists of invitations to address a variety of university, public education, church, and student groups.
The papers also include typescripts and galley proofs, with the author's corrections, of The Vanishing Adolescent (1959), Coming of Age in America (1965), The Dignity of Youth and Other Atavisms (1965), R.D. Laing (1973), and The Disposal of Liberty and Other Industrial Wastes (1976), as well as typescripts for articles and books reviews.
Friedenberg's early career, 1935-1945, is documented by correspondence, essays, and newspaper clippings pertaining primarily to his relations with his tutor, Dr. John B. Entriken, and his life at Centenary College, Shreveport, Louisiana. Other materials, 1963-1970, reflect his association with the State University of New York at Buffalo.
- Friedenberg, Edgar Zodiag (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
Edgar Zodiag Friedenberg Papers, 1935-1976, are open for research.
Copyright is held by The State University of New York at Buffalo, University Archives. Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
- Born March 18 in New York City
- B.S., Centenary College of Louisiana
- M.A., Stanford University
- Ph.D., University of Chicago
- Instructor to Assistant Professor, University of Chicago
- Assistant Professor to Associate Professor, Brooklyn College
- Professor of Sociology, University of California at Davis
- Professor of Sociology and Education, State University of New York at Buffalo
- Leaves United States as a protest to Vietnam War
- Professor, Dalhousie University, Nova Scotia, named emeritus professor in 1986
- Named Professor Emeritus
3.75 Linear Feet (8 manuscript boxes, 2 half manuscript boxes)
Collection of Edgar Zodiag Friedenberg, 1935-1976. Includes personal and professional correspondence and manuscripts of his articles, book reviews and books.
The collection is organized into twelve series:
I. Personal Memorabilia
III. Correspondence with Publishers
IV. Correspondence with Organizations
V.Correspondence regarding Speaking Engagements
VI. Correspondence regarding Reprint Rights
VII. State University of New York at Buffalo
VIII. Manuscripts of Articles and Lectures
IX. Manuscripts of Book Reviews
X. Published Reviews and Articles
XI. Published Reviews of Friedenberg's Books
XII. Manuscripts of Books
Series are arranged alphabetically, except Series V and VI which are arranged chronologically. Series IX is organized by date of publication.
Donated to the University Archives, The State University of New York at Buffalo by Edgar Z. Friedenberg, 1968-1977; with additional materials added by Mrs. John B. Entriken, 1969, Warren Button, 1970 and 1972, and by Carol Burstein, 1974.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Collection processed by Archives staff in the 1970s.
Collection re-processed by Justin R. Dise, December, 2011.
- Articles Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Book reviews Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education -- Research -- United States Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Entriken, John
- Friedenberg, Edgar Zodiag
- Gallery proofs Subject Source: Local sources
- Manuscripts (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publishers and Publishing -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publishers and publishing--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Social sciences -- Research -- United States Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Sociologists -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Local sources
- Sociology -- Research -- United States Subject Source: Local sources
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Faculty
- Typescripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University Archives
- Finding Aid for the Edgar Zodiag Friedenberg papers
- Finding aid prepared by Archives staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note