T. Raymond McConnell papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes memorabilia pertaining to McConnell's inauguration as Chancellor of the University of Buffalo as well as reprints of speeches and articles on fund raising, academic freedom, the elective system, and selective service. A 1977 letter from McConnell to Robert Fisk (5.14) contains McConnell's memories of his time at UB.
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
T. Raymond McConnell papers, 1937-1954, 1977, are open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Chancellor T. R. McConnell assumed office in 1950 following Samuel P. Capen. An important academic freedom case which arose during his term concerned Professor W.T. Parry, who had refused to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee. After a hearing before the Executive Committee of the College of Arts and Sciences, he was stripped of tenure and given a one year appointment, renewable for three years (see the Minutes of the General Administration Committee of the University Council, June 1953). Professor Parry later received tenure for the second time (a relevant item, McConnell's notes for a chronological report to the Council, is in Box 4).
Chancellor McConnell resigned in 1954 to take a position at the University of California at Berkeley. In 1957 he became chairman of the Center for Study of Higher Education at Berkeley.
2.0 Linear Feet (4 manuscript boxes, 1 flat box)
Reprints of speeches and articles on fund raising, academic freedom, the elective system, and selective service; also inaugural memorabilia.
This collection is arranged in two series:
I. Inauguration memorabilia
II. Speeches and writings
This collection of material was transferred from the Office of the President in October 1968 and July 1969. A 1977 letter from McConnell to Robert Fisk was gifted to University Archives on January 12, 1990 by Fisk.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Collection processed by Archives Staff, circa 1970.
- McConnell, T. R. (Thomas Raymond), 1901-1989
- Memorabilia Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- College presidents Subject Source: Local sources
- Reprints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Speeches (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Archival resources
- Universities and colleges -- Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Buffalo -- Archival resources
- Finding Aid for the T. Raymond McConnell papers
- Finding aid prepared by Archives Staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note