Millard Fillmore papers
Scope and Contents
Papers include memorandum, indexes, catalog, and correspondence from Millard Fillmore, the first Chancellor of the University of Buffalo and the thirteenth President of the United States.
- Fillmore, Millard, 1800-1874 (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
The Millard Fillmore papers, 1833-1874, are open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Lawyer and congressman Millard Fillmore served as Chancellor of the University of Buffalo from 1846 to 1874. During his tenure as Chancellor, Fillmore also served as U.S. Congressman from New York (1833-1843), Comptroller of New York State (1848-1849) as well as Vice President (1849-1850) and President (1850-1852) of the United States. Fillmore died in March of 1874. Since 1960 the University at Buffalo has co-sponsored a recognition ceremony at Fillmore's grave site at Forest Lawn Cemetery on the anniversary of his birth, January 7th.
1 Linear Feet (2 manuscript boxes)
Papers include correspondence, memoranda, notebooks, library catalog, and other documents regarding Millard Fillmore, the first Chancellor of the University of Buffalo and the thirteenth President of the United States.
This collection is arranged in four series:
I. Correspondence and memorandum as U.S. President
II. Records as U.S. Congressman
III. Personal and Family Documents
IV. Documents as Chancellor of the University of Buffalo and other records
There are no existing records to document how the bulk of the collection came to the University.
John L. Heider, UB graduate of the Law School, donated the warranty deed with Millard Fillmore's signature (Series IV. Documents as Chancellor of the University of Buffalo and other miscellaneous records, box/folder #1.20).
Richard W. Trolley, a 1954 UB graduate of the School of Dental Medicine, donated a hand written Fillmore letter dated September 14, 1851 to the University Archives in 1991 (Series I. Correspondence and Memorandum as U.S. President, box/folder #1.18).
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Collection processed by Archives Staff.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Memorandums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notebooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Archives
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1849-1853 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Corwin, Thomas, 1794-1865 (Contributor, Person)
- Crittenden, John J. (John Jordan), 1787-1863 (Contributor, Person)
- Gratiot, Charles (Contributor, Person)
- Kenly, John Reese (Contributor, Person)
- Lea, Luke (Contributor, Person)
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Webster, Daniel (Contributor, Person)
- Finding Aid for the Millard Fillmore papers
- Finding aid prepared by Archives Staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note