Skip to Content

Chabad of Buffalo and Torah Teminah School papers

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS 200.22
Chabad of Buffalo and the Torah Teminah School collection include clippings, school photographs, flyers and booklets for anniversary events, as well as a range of anniversary booklets. Jewish year dates are also included on some materials.

Dates

  • 1971-1994

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection material in English.

Terms of Access

The Chabad of Buffalo and Torah Teminah School Papers, 1971-1994 are open for research.

Copyright

Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Extent

0.5 Linear Feet (1 half manuscript box)

Overview

Materials documenting aspects of work of Chabad of Buffalo with an emphasis on outreach work for Jewish students at University at Buffalo and Buffalo State College as well as the social and education life of a Chabad affiliated school, Torah Teminah, Amherst, NY.

Historical Note

The origins of modern Chabad-Lubavitch organization in the United States are traced to the early 1940’s when the sixth Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Yosef Yitzchak Schneersohn (1880-1950), appointed his son-in-law and later successor, Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneersohn (1902-1994), to head the newly-founded educational and social service arms of the movement. As of 2007 there were over 3300 Chabad linked institutions around the world. Chabad is an acronym of three words: Chochmah (Wisdom), Binah (Understanding), and Da’at (knowledge). Lubavitch is the name of the small town in the county of Mohilev (Imperial Russia) that served as the center of the Chabad Chassidism for four generations. Chabad is a Chasidic movement in Orthodox Judaism.

Chabad Lubavitch of Buffalo, known as Chabad of Buffalo, was established in 1971 by Rabbi Nosson Gurary and his wife Miriam starting from an apartment at Amherst Manor Drive. Since then it has grown into a two-center organization with buildings near the North and South Campuses of the University at Buffalo. The first student house, on Main Street, was located between Englewood and University, at 3293 Main, and expanded into a second building immediately adjacent to it. In suburban Amherst/Getzville, the Chabad House is located near the Ellicott Creek footbridge, opposite the Wilkeson and Spaulding dorms at 2501 North Forest Road, and close to the Jewish Community Center.

Chabad of Buffalo is currently run by Rabbi Avrohom and Rabbi Moshe Gurary, both of whom are sons of the original founders. Chabad House runs a range of programming for college students including Shabbat hosting, as well as a range of educational events and programs, including a summer camp for children, ‘Gan Israel”. During the 1980s and 1990s, Chabad, along with other Jewish organizations in Buffalo, was involved in aiding Soviet Jewish immigrants. From 1972 for the following twenty years, Chabad of Buffalo also offered classes on the campuses of the University at Buffalo in Jewish philosophy, traditions, practices and language. Chabad of Buffalo has at various points hosted local radio and television shows, a newspaper, Chabad Chronicle, annual festival events, adult bar mitzvah ceremonies, and provided counseling services including those at the Attica Correctional Facility. It has ongoing summer programming at the Chautauqua Institution. Before 2008, Torah Temimah Day School of Buffalo (which was founded during the 1970s by Chabad of Buffalo), ran intermittent full day schools at various locations around Buffalo. It merged with Jewish Heritage Day School (JHDS) in 2008 to form Ohr Temimim. While the original JHDS was initially affiliated with the Torah U’Mesorah Jewish Day School network, Ohr Temimim is now affiliated with the Chabad-Lubavitch movement.

Chabad of Buffalo holds an annual (giant) Chanukah Menorah lighting event and invites a range of individuals to light the first flame each year.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged by type of material and then chronologically.

Acquisition Information

Rabbi Moshe Gurary donated a small amount of material in the 2000s(?). The school’s administrative, photographic and other papers were initially surveyed under a grant from the DHP Documentary Heritage Program in 2009. The collection was arranged in June 2013 and it was deposited at the University Archives, Special Collections by the Jewish Buffalo Archives Project in June 2013.

The Jewish Buffalo Archives Project was founded in late 2007 under the auspices of the Bureau of Jewish Education of Greater Buffalo with a seed grant from the Foundation for Jewish Philanthropies. The Archives Project collects mainly 20th century documentation relating to the diverse histories, religious traditions and cultures of Jewish communities within the Greater Buffalo area of Western New York, encompassing the geographic areas of Erie and Niagara Counties and partners with the University Archives at the University at Buffalo to make these records accessible.

Accruals and Additions

No further accruals are expected to this collection.

Related Resources

Processing Information

Processed by Chana Revell Kotzin, June 2013.

Creator

Source

Title
Finding Aid for the Chabad of Buffalo and Torah Teminah School papers
Status
completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Chana Revell Kotzin, June 2013.
Date
2013
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
und
Sponsor
The arrangement and description of the Chabad of Buffalo and Torah Teminah School Papers was made possible by funding obtained through the Foundation for Jewish Philanthropies and the Bureau of Jewish Education.

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US
716-645-2916
716-645-3714 (Fax)